Chapter 14

*3 weeks later*

"I'm really nervous." Bucky told Steve. His hand shook, his legs shook and he felt sick to his stomach.
"You've been planning this for well over two months, you'll be fine." He reassured his best friend.
"But-"
"No buts. You can do this." He shook him by the shoulder.

'He's right. I can do this. I want to do this. I've wanted to do this for so long.'

Amelia had barely been able to contain her excitement since the moment Bucky asked her out on another date. This time they were going on a 40s style date and all she wanted to do was make him feel like he could still be that guy to take a girl out dancing.

Her leg has gotten better in the last few weeks and she could finally get around comfortably on her own. At first Bucky insisted that he'd carry her everywhere, which he would have, if she'd let him, even though he still had no metal arm seeing as Tony was currently making him a new one, but once her leg started to properly heal up she got some independence back. She even got off her crutches. Although she still have to have a bandage on her leg and took one crutch which Tony had made specially so it could fit in her bag just in case.

Amelia heard a knock on her door and opened it to see Bucky who looked rather washed out.

"You ok? You look a little pale." She asked in a concerned voice and attempted to put her hand on his forehead to see if he was burning up. He waved it off pulling her into a hug. If he'd let her touch his forehead she would have found him sweating profusely.

"Don't worry doll, I'm fine."

"Are you sure," she said "we could always just go out another ni-" She was interrupted by Bucky.

"No!! I'm fine, really." His face softened and he smiled at her dress.

He thought the powder blue colour really suited her and he loved she'd made a effort for him. For him if all people. Amelia linked her arm into his still lone flesh one and they strolled out of the tower.

 Amelia linked her arm into his still lone flesh one and they strolled out of the tower

He spun her around and round and realed her back in, snaking his arm around her waist. Her dress billowed then settling back down to show the ugly beige bandage peaking out from underneath her skirt. Amelia let her arms relax on his shoulders and hands clasped at the back of his neck. She honestly didn't care that he currently only had the one arm much to his surprise.

"Are you sure you want to dance with me seeing as I only have one arm?" He had asked, turning away in embarrassment.
"Are you kidding me?" She asked in astonishment that he really thought that.
"No. I won't be offended if you don't." He said.

It was only half a lie. Bucky both understood why she might say no but wanted her to say she did want to dance with him.

"James Buchanan Barnes!! I don't care that you only have one arm. So, if you please, I would very much like you to dance with me. So ask me." Amelia quickly told him and he turned away again. When he turned back to her she almost thought the ex assassin was going to cry and his only response was a nod.

The whole ballroom was decorated in a 40's style and had quite a few older couples dancing along next to them. The gold lights gave the room a warm glow and zoomed the whole world in so all she could see was Bucky. His soft chestnut brown hair was held back in a low pony tail so she could see his angular face clearly. His clear ocean blue eyes stared lovingly into her grey ones and made her legs turn to jelly so the only thing holding her up was Bucky's strong hand, that was placed firmly yet gently on the top of her hip. Respectfully places as always, although sometimes she wished he wouldn't be so respectful, if you catch my drift. And he only allowed himself to think of her in a respectful way, except for that one night which we won't go into.

"Your so beautiful, you know that doll?"
"Stop it. " She giggled, resting her forehead against his chest to hide her reddened face.

"My Amelia." He sighed, kissing the top of her head. She looked up and he smiles a content smile which makes her insides melt.

He kept on mulling over whether it was worth ruining a wonderful evening with the possibility of Amelia saying no to his question but it alway came back to the same answer. Even though he'd planned it and agonised over it he was still painfully nervous.

As the song they danced to came to a melodic ending as Bucky took a short, sharp, just about audible intake of breath and his eyes dropped to the floor.

He took a step back from where they had been previously dancing and slowly, but surely, got down on one knee.

He brought his eyes back up to hers and said...