4: Negligence

Playing Safe isn't actually safety assured, it could also mean losing everything or not losing until you're found out. Is there really a better result? You'll just end up losing anyway, the difference is only with time. Why not do it right from the start?

Interhigh Finals. Sendai City Gymnasium

'I have nothing else to do. I should surprise her.', Mori arrived early at the gymnasium. He decided to watch the game too. He looked at boards to see the teams playing the finals today.

'Aoba Johsai vs Shiratorizawa?', his fingers pointed at those words written on the piece of paper as an announcement. 'Oh, our school is still great in volleyball as always.'

'I wonder where ___ is. She must be late as always.', Mori chuckled to himself placing his finger on his chin.

He once again gazed at the paper posted on the board and remembered something. 'Wait. Kageyama is in Aoba Johsai? Isn't he in Karasuno?'

The restless feeling loomed towards Mori. He began thinking of things as he dialed Kageyama's on his phone.

'Now, now, ___ could just mean that she's watching the game with Kageyama even if he's not playing.', he tried to stay calm as the dial tone rang.

Kageyama answered after a number of rings. "Hello, Mori-san, what made you call?'

"Are you going to watch the Interhigh finals today?"

"No. I have school today.... and we... lost yesterday."

Mori froze at his response. '___ lied to me?'

"Uhm... also... nee-san was of great help to me yesterday.", Kageyama continued. "Are you with her now? Could you say thanks to her for me, Mori-san?"

In his peripheral vision, he saw someone familiar pass by as he held his phone against his ears. It was his girlfriend, ___.

'Phew, I made it just in time.', you dashed towards the court where the finals will be held.

You carried the black helmet from yesterday.

Mori can't help but feel doubt seeing you like this, knowing that you have been keeping something from him.

"Mori...-san?", Kageyama interrupted Mori's thoughts.

Mori snapped and responded, "Ahh... ahh, sure. I will tell her."

"Thank you."

"No worries."

Mori hanged up and went to follow you inside the court. You found a seat and Mori picked a spot behind you where he could watch you. He didn't want to be seen by you yet since he decided to find out first why you lied about watching Tobio in the first place.

'Who are you gonna watch? Our old school's?', Mori pondered as he sat and glanced at the enthusiastic girl. 'Why are you so excited to watch the game and why did you lie?'

'Are you hiding something?', Mori quivered at his thoughts. He wished that it wasn't as bad as he was thinking. He didn't want to doubt you.

'Oh, I should text Mori.', you took out your phone from your bag and typed in a message.

The game's about to start. I hope they would win! – you