Chapter 4

"Today marks the first day of training since we've got a challenge coming up in three days," Calum uttered, leaning against a vacant picnic table. "So we're going to go to the rock climbing walls and maybe go through a practice course to give you an idea what to expect."

I nodded along with some other girls, liking Calum's idea.

"We'll meet over there in, let's say, fifteen minutes?" He checked his watch and then nodded. "Yeah, fifteen minutes."

Once Calum walked away, all of us got up from our sitting positions and scattered, some going to the cabins real quick and others going straight to the rock climbing walls.

"Hey, where'd you go yesterday?" Carla looked at me before pointing and guiding me towards the woods. "I mean, you left the cabin and didn't return for a while."

Should I tell her about the cliff?

"I told you, I went to watch the movie. It's an absolute sin to pass up Mean Girls," I laughed nervously, scratching the back of my head. Carla nodded, accepting my answer.

We soon passed the woods and the opening disappeared too, making us come closer to the Cafeteria. I didn't get the chance to really figure out where the rock climbing walls were yesterday so I guess we'll just have to keep our eyes open.

"Do you guys know where the walls are?" I asked, eyeing the right side for anything.

"Yeah, I caught I glimpse of them yesterday when we were heading to the lake. They're behind the showers," Pauline said, pointing to something in front of us.

Pauline ended up being right and we made it to the training session just in time, making Calum wave at us.

"Hey, team, listen up. This, right here," Calum pointed to a man with a white beard next to him. "Is Dave. He'll be helping today."

"Alright so everyone come up one by one so I can help get you your harness," Dave spoke loudly, clapping his hands together. Morgan, the girl who introduced herself first, got up and went first again.

Once everyone got their harness besides me, I got up and walked to the front.

"Hey, Veronica," I looked up and noticed Calum sending me a soothing smile.

"Hey, Cal," I grinned back, now looking at Dave. He grabbed a blue harness and loosened it, kneeling in front of me. I stepped into the openings that were, I hope, for the legs and waited. Once I was balanced, Dave brought the harness up to my waist, tightening it to its full potential.

Maybe just a tad bit too tight.

"I didn't see you at the movie yesterday," Calum raised his eyebrows as Dave buckled me up.

I bit my lip and started to play with my fingers, "I, er, I just went to bed after grabbing an apple from the cafeteria. I was tired after swimming yesterday," I made up, becoming more nervous by the second.

Was I allowed to go to the cliff?

"Ah, the lake does wear you out," Calum agreed, nodding. "Alright, well you should come to the bonfire tonight! The boys and I missed you yesterday," Calum's eyes twinkled and he smiled like he was a genius.

"Yeah, I defiliently will," I grinned, nodding.

Calum gave me a quick nod before turning away, making me also turn away and walk back to my spot where Carla and Pauline were giving me weird looks.

"He was talking to you," Carla commented, looking at me with wide eyes.

"Yeah, didn't he talk to you?" I questioned, playing with the hard strings form the now uncomfortable harness.