Chapter 6

After the fireworks ended, everyone said their goodbyes and departed to their cabins. The boys checked on us about an hour later before they went to bed, saying that it's time to turn the lights off.

______

*drip*

I scrunched up my nose, hearing a variety of sounds.

*drop*

I pulled my pillow closer, tucking it tighter into me. The sounds kept continuing in a rhythmic pattern, not showing any signs of stopping.

I sighed quietly to myself and blinked my eyes open, batting them in attempt to fade the blurriness that filled my vision. The cabin was fairly dark unlike the other mornings I've woken up to, making me grab my phone that was charging in the outlet next to my bunk.

9:15.

Over the past five days, I've woken up between 7 and 8:30 in which the sunlight was so bright it could blind you. This thought made me throw the covers off, unwillingly may I add, and walk to the nearest window.

Rain.

"Of course," I whispered to myself, looking around the cabin and noticing everyone was still asleep. I took one last glance out the window, noticing the dark clouds surrounding the camp, and walked back to my bed.

About twenty minutes later, after giving up on any attempt of going back to sleep, I started to feel the bed shake, detecting movement from above me.

Carla.

A minute later, I spotted a tiny foot step onto the ladder before slowly climbing down. I sat up a bit and waited for Carla to fully come down. Once she was on the wooden floor, she looked over at me before jumping slightly, holding her heart.

"You scared me," she whisper-yelled, combing her fingers through her hair to make it somewhat presentable.

"Sorry," I smiled and shrugged my shoulders, throwing my covers off and climbing out of bed.

Once I was standing up, I watched Carla look out the window before walking towards it, "Is it raining?"

"Yeah," I sighed, scrunching up my face. Once I saw the dejected look on her face, I nodded, agreeing with her thoughts, "I'm starving."

"Same here," she nodded her head before looking at our surroundings. We stood there for a moment before I watched Carla point her finger to a corner where a black umbrella stood, "Well, there's an umbrella."

I observed the umbrella closely before looking Carla in the eye, grinning, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Carla shrunk her shoulders before nodding, "Fit the both of us under the umbrella and walk to the Cafeteria to stuff our faces?"

"Absolutely," and with that, I walked over and grabbed the umbrella, following Carla out of the cabin.

_______

"That didn't work at all," Carla pouted as we ran under the porch of the Cafeteria, completely soaked.

"Well at least we're here," I looked at the positive side, shaking some of the water off of myself and grabbing for the handle of the Cafeteria. Once I opened the door completely, a warm draft of air hit me, lulling me forward.

Once the door shut and we were surrounded by a warm and cozy essence, I took in my surroundings for the first time and realized no one was in sight. I took a hesitant step forward, scanning the perimeter with my eyes again.

No one.

"Hello?" I called out, raising my eyebrows.

There was a moment of complete silence before I heard a creaking of a door opening to my left. My head snapped towards the noise, immediately spotting a head looking out from behind the kitchen door.