Chapter 10

"Hey, Cal," I smiled once I stopped next to him. Calum stopped talking to the girl next to him and looked over at me before his face lit up.

"Veronica! What's up?" The girl next to him made a disappointed noise before walking away.

"Nothing really, just got out of the lake."

"I know, I saw you and Luke in there all day," Calum smirked and raised both of his eyebrows in a teasing way.

My face, once again, started to flush and I looked down, wordless.

"What'd you guys even do in there for that long? I saw you guys before I headed to breakfast, but then I saw you guys still in there when I headed for a late afternoon snack."

"We just talked and got to know a little bit more about each other," I shrugged my shoulders and looked away from him, knowing I'd spill that I had a crush on Luke if I looked in Calum's eyes.

"A little bit," Calum mocked me in a teasing voice before he bumped shoulders with me. I started nervously laughing, not knowing what to say. "Alright I'm gonna get this thing going."

I bid a goodbye to Calum before I searched the crowd for Pauline. Once I spotted here, I carefully stepped over everyone and sat down.

"Hey, we were looking for you all day!" Pauline exclaimed, giving me a questioning look.

"I was at the lake all day."

I decided not to tell her about the person who I spent my day with because I'm not too sure what it even meant, to be honest.

Calum stole both of our attentions as he cleared his throat at the front.

"Alright, guys, welcome back to the training sessions! Since our next challenge is dodgeball, I thought it'd be a smart idea to focus on aiming."

Dodgeball? Oh, God, no.

Please tell me he's joking.

To my dismay, Calum wasn't joking because he pulled out a bow and arrow from behind his back. I watched as the other girls looked at each other worridly, wondering what the hell this had to do with dodgeball.

"To shoot a bow and arrow, one must give their full attention to their target and aim, which is quite similar to the concept of dodgeball," Calum raised the bow and pulled back the string, pretending to shoot an arrow into the sky.

"Someone is so gonna get hurt," Pauline whispered to me as she eyed Calum.

"I've got a bow and a set of arrows for each one of you so," Calum stepped to the side and gestured to the rack of supplies, "grab one and stand in front of one of the targets."

As all of my teammates stood up slowly, I looked at Pauline and gave her a worried look.

I can't aim for shit.

"Just don't hit someone," I thought to myself as I stood up and walked to the front. I picked a black bow that had carvings on the side of it, and picked up a sack of bows. The sack had a strap on one side so I pulled it over my head.

"Veronica," I heard someone call my name out which made me snap my head up to the left. I spotted Calum with a wide grin on his face, looking like he was about to dissolve in a fit of laughter. "The bows go on your back, not on your chest. Haven't you seen Hunger Games?"

I looked at how I had the sack positioned and mentally slapped myself.

How embarrassing.

I felt my cheeks start to burn as I quickly swung the sack behind me, positioning it correctly.