Chapter 9

Veronica's POV

"It's a free day, right?" Carla asked me, climbing down the ladder of our bunk bed. I nodded before laying back down on the mattress, thinking of what I should take part of today.

I can't just stay in the cabin again, that's defeating the whole purpose of coming to Austrailia for the summer.

"Pauline and I are going to go to the tennis courts and play a game or two," Carla informed me before taking her shirt off and replacing it with a tank top. "Wanna come?"

I thought about it for a moment before shaking my head, passing the offer.

Tennis isn't really my sport. Basketball and Volleyball are the sports I truley excel in.

"I'll just think of something to do by myself," I nodded, assuring Carla that I'd be fine without them.

"Alright, see you later then," she waved her final goodbye and walked out the screen door, letting it slam shut once she let go.

Once I was left alone in the cabin,with a few exceptions of a couple of my teammates, I grabbed my bikini that I hung to dry on the chair beside my bunk, and changed. As I finished tightening the top of my bathing suit, I stepped out of one of the changing rooms and dropped my clothes in the hamper.

The other girls didn't take a second glance at me as I gathered a beach towel and spare clothes, intending on going straight to the showers after.

Once I finally left the cabin and walked a good distance on the rocky path, the lake started to come into view, making me smile to myself.

Some alone time would be perfect for me right now.

As I walked around the perimeter of the lake, heading towards the part where you're supposed to swim, I noticed that no on was in the lake nor around it.

Perfect.

There still remained no one in the lake as I stripped off my shorts, tank top, and sat down my other belongings, making me feel a bit happier than I should be.

It's not that I don't want to swim with anyone, it's just that I haven't had much me time.

I shivered slightly as I took my first step into the lake, feeling the cold water engulf my overheated body.

As I slowly moved into the water further, closing my eyes as I felt the water run over my stomach now, I heard something drop and footsteps by the shore, making me shoot my eyes open.

Oh, God, why.

After a moment, I heard heavy footsteps splash into the water, indicating that someone was running. Before I could turn around and give the person a weird and irritated look, a pair of arms wrapped around me, tackling me under the water. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes before I was taken under the water, arms still wrapped around me.

A stayed under the water for a few seconds before swatting my hands and pushing myself to the surface. I kept my eyes closed for a moment longer before opening them to a smiling Luke.

"You were going a bit slow there so I thought I'd speed you up," he shrugged his shoulders and cracked a breathtaking smile.

I rolled my eyes playfully and stood up, resting one of my hands on my hip before suggesting, "How about yelling my name next time?"

Luke thought about it for a second, looking off into the distance, before shaking his head, "Nah, that's no fun."

I sighed, feeling defeated, before splashing him with water, getting him back for tackling me.