Chapter 5

~ 2 days later ~

Veronica's POV

"Veronica?" My head snapped up, finding Carla. I nodded, already knowing what she was going to say.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," I assured her, grabbing the first bandana in sight. I flipped my hair upside down and folded the bandana into a headband, wrapping the strip of cloth around my head. As soon as I tied the ends into a bow, I flipped my hair back and patted it down.

"Okay, let's go," I finally said, rushing out of the cabin.

"We're gonna be late!" Carla exclaimed, catching up to me. We ran into the woods and past the opening, picking up speed. Once we passed the cafeteria, I slowed down a bit, turning to the left. Everyone was separated into four lines, indicating the four different cabins.

I quickly slipped into the 2nd line, noticing Calum in the front, and took a deep breath.

That was a close one.

"Good morning, everyone!" I stood on my tippy toes, catching a glimpse of a man standing on one of the wooden planks of the course. "Are you all awake?"

There were a few groans from some of the girls, but the others nodded, cheering. I just chuckled to myself, shaking my head.

I overslept just a tad.

"Well I'm just going to show you guys how to correctly complete this course and then we'll start, sound good?" Everyone cheered, the four boys screaming at the top of their lungs at the front of their teams.

The man ran closer to us and then spun around, crouching just before the white start line. A moment later, he took of sprinting up the wooden plank and dove through a hole in one of the padded walls. As he continued the course further, I watched carefully, taking in the specific things he did.

Slow down around the corners because they're sharp and you'll just slam right into the wooden wall which, in fact, will hurt like hell.

After the little demonstration, the majority of us nodded our heads, understanding what we needed to do.

"Whichever team completes the course the fastest will be rewarded the first point!" The man hopped off the wooden plank and moved to the side, out of everyone's way. I watched Calum jump up and down, getting himself ready.

"Alright, on your marks," the man paused for just a moment. "Get set," he continued, but then paused again for a bit longer this time. "Go!"

Calum took off just like Luke, Ashton, and Michael. I watched carefully as all four boys balanced themselves on the wooden beam and disappeared further into the structure. The last glimpse I had of them was when they dove through the hole.

As they finished the course, all of us chanted and encouraged our captain, waiting for them to crawl out.

Calum was the first to crawl out, much to our dismay, and clapped the girls hand that was next in line. She quickly took off and ran up the ramp without any trouble, disappearing through the hole. Luke was right behind her, crawling out and slapping his teammate's hand just like Calum.

I waited and watched as every one of my teammates completed the course, bringing me closer to the starting line.

Okay, I must admit, I'm kind of nervous.

Soon enough, I was standing in front of the line, waiting for Carla to complete the course. I rubbed my hands together and shook my shoulders in an attempt to calm myself down. I watched the opening closely and jumped backed a little, finally catching a glimpse of Carla. She easily crawled through the opening and ran towards me, slapping my hand.