2

Giovanni

My alarm went off and I let out a loud groan. I was beyond tired because I stayed up all night on the phone with my girlfriend, Carmen. She's a freshman in college so we don't get to physically see each other that often. Last time I saw her was over the summer before she went off to college.

"Gio you up?" My mom called from down the hall. I responded with a dry yes then rolled out of bed.

I checked my phone and I had a message from Diamond.

From: Diamond 😎
Can you pick me up? My brother left for work already.

I texted her back and got ready for this long day ahead. I took a quick shower then picked out an outfit.

Once I was done getting dressed and eating a slight breakfast that consisted of fruit and toast I said my good byes to my mama and headed to my car

Once I was done getting dressed and eating a slight breakfast that consisted of fruit and toast I said my good byes to my mama and headed to my car. When it started up the music started blasting. Before I could pull out the driveway good my mama was calling my phone.

"Yes mama?" I said through laughter.

She began yelling, telling me to turn that shit down; referring to my music. I did as told and proceeded to Diamond's house. We had a little conversation yesterday about why she moved down here and what type of person she is. She seems cool and like she would be a good friend.

When I pulled up to her house she was already sitting on the porch waiting for me. She had a look of agitation on her face so I made it my mission to make her smile. I got out and walked around to her side and opened the door for her. She gave me a weak smile and mumbled thank you. Once she was inside I walked back to the drivers side and got in.

"Aux cord?" I said handing it to her. Her face lit up and she plugged her phone in. She immediately turned on Joey BadA$$ and her whole mood changed.

"You fuck with him huh?" I asked.

She nodded her head as she rapped to the song that was playing. I listened to the lyrics intensely and realized this dude was speaking some real facts. The title of his album is called All-Amerikkkan Bada$$ and he's talking about the struggles that people of color go through on a daily basis.

"Aye this shit cold as hell mane. I gotta buy this fa real."

Diamond nodded her head my way as she continued to rap to the songs. It took us about ten minutes to get to school and when we got there I parked in my usual spot and got out. Diamond got out as well and the evil stares began. She sent me a quick glance before walking towards the front doors.

"Aye yo Gio you rocking with that lame underclassmen now?" One of my friends asked.

I looked over at him and dryly said yes. He sucked his teeth and told me my cool points dropped a la bit. At this point I really didn't care. Last night I had a conversation with Carmen and she told me being popular was only going to get me so far in life. She gave me some good insight, and that Diamond seemed like a bright soul but that light needed to be brought out by someone and that someone was me.

I quickly brushed by everyone and went to find Diamond before the bell rang, but I was too late. The first bell rang which meant we have five minutes to get to class before we are considered tardy. I ran down to my first period class and as soon as I sat down in my seat I sent Diamond a message.

To: Diamond 😎
What class you in?

While I waited for her to respond I pulled out my homework that is due and passed it to the front. My teacher was going over the lesson for the day when my phone vibrated with a text message. It was from Jason, my soon to be ex best friend if he keep playing with me.

From Jason:
Are you really friends with that new girl?
She's mean af & lame...

I rolled my eyes while reading the message and contemplated on what I wanted to say back. God knows my anger, I'll be done cussed him out and erased his whole existence.

To Jason:
Yes, yes I am & if you gotta mf'ing problem see me after school 😒

He didn't respond back so I slid my phone back in my pocket. Class went by slower than normal. since Diamond wasn't texting me back I was ready to see her at lunch. Hopefully she will talk to me and disregard all the crazy stuff folks are saying about her.

********

I was on my way to lunch when I heard a bunch of yelling coming from the cafe. I rushed in because there was a crowd forming. I looked over to the left and saw two girls and a dude surrounding Diamond. I pushed through the kids that had formed around and saw it was Jason and two thots he kept around for convenience.

"I guess you gone have to see me now and not later huh?" I said catching his attention.

He turned and looked at me with a smirk on his face. I could slap the dog piss out of him but I was going to wait for him to swing first.

"Why do you care so much? She's nothing but a dumb chick with big ass lips and squinted eyes. If I aint know any better you like her."

Out of the corner of my eyes I saw Diamond approaching Jason with her fists balled up. Due to me being very petty I didn't stop the ass whooping he had coming. She drew her fist back and hit him with all of the strength she had. He stumbled back and gave her an astonishing look. .

"Did you just hit me?" He asked.

Diamond shook her head yes and was about to send a couple more blows but I grabbed her around the waist and carried her out. Her breathing was heavy and I could clearly tell she was upset. When we made it outside I put her down and she just looked at me and cried.

"What's wrong la mama? Why you blowing up on these folk?"

She wiped her face and calmed herself down before answering me.

"All my life i've been talked about for my big lips and asian eyes. It just comes a point where you've had enough and can't take it anymore. I'm not even the crying type, just caught me slipping" she said laughing.

"You tryna get outta hea?" I asked. She nodded.

We snuck back into the building and went to grab our stuff then dipped out. I was over this day anyway so it aint matter to me whether I missed third block or not.

"Where to na?"

******

This chapter low key trash but here y'all go.

As always comment. vote. share.