14

Graduation Day

"Giovanni Ferrer" my name was called.

I stepped up on the stage and smiled as my family and friends screamed my name. They clearly said hold all applause until the end, but do they listen? Nah. I shook the principals hand and took my diploma with the other. Once I was done walking across the stage I hopped the metal railing and motioned for my family to come on, I was beyond ready to go.

"I'm so proud of you baby" my mama said placing kisses all over my face. My grandma walked over and gave me a hug too.

Diamond was standing back with her mom and Jermaine. I guess she didn't want to take away from my family being here because she definitely hasn't been as clingy since they got here two days ago. She came over my house once and that was because I had to beg her to.

"So where you want to go to eat?" My mama asked.

Before I could answer my grandma shook her head no.

"Oh no baby. I'm cooking. Let's go home."

We all walked to our cars and got in. I lived about twenty minutes away from where the graduation was being held. My school had to be fancy and rent out a whole coliseum instead of having it at the school like regular folks.

I turned the radio on and enjoyed the ride back to the house. My mom insisted that she drive me since today is my big day. She even woke up extra early to make sure I was at the place on time.

We got to the house faster than I thought. I hopped out and went straight to my room. I changed out of my cap and gown and put on some real comfortable clothes. Once I was done doing that I went back downstairs to chill with my family. When I didn't see Diamond in the living room I asked my mom where she was.

"Ma where's Diamond?"

She shrugged her shoulders and went back to helping my nana cook. I tried to put it in the back of my head and not think about it. I decided to send her a message and leave it at that.

To: Diamond 😍
Babe where are you? - 1:15pm

From: Diamond
Walking up now - 1:16pm

I opened the door for her and she smiled. She seemed like she was in a better place than before. I grabbed her hand and drug her to the kitchen where my grandma, mom and auntie were.

"Gio who is this girl? Your little friend?"

I could feel Diamond tense up, but she didn't show it too much. I smiled and told them she was my girlfriend. My grandma smiled, but my auntie who's my mom's youngest sister mugged the hell out of her. She's twenty five and overprotective of me.

"Mmhm. Why I haven't heard about her?"

My mom gave her that look that said she better not start. She rolled her eyes and let it go. We went back to the living room and chilled with my uncles and cousins until dinner was ready.

******

"Dang mama and nana that was delicious" I said rubbing my stomach.

They smiled and took my plate from me. Diamond stood and followed my mom into the kitchen, I assume to help her with the dishes. While she was doing that my auntie Kay slid closer to me and started asking all kinds of questions. I answered them just because I had nothing better to do.

"I'm getting the itis. Think Ima go take a nap" I told her. I stood up and headed for the stairs.

When I got upstairs I texted Diamond and told her to come up once she was finished helping my mom. She told me she'd be up in about ten minutes. I kicked my shoes off and laid across my bed. The second my head hit my pillow I was out.