chapter eight- the monster

Casey

The trees were completely bare of any leaves, the dead ones littering the ground below which made the scenery more eerie. Jonathan and Nancy had fell into step ahead of me which left me alone with my own thoughts to wander, mostly about Will and hoping to find him tonight. But that was when Nancy and Jonathan's heightening voices then began to reach my ears. 

"Yeah, well I was thinking Jonathan Byers, maybe he's not the pretentious creep everyone says he is-" Nancy started as they stopped in their tracks to argue and I opened my mouth to protest but I was cut off by another voice.

"Well I was thinking Nancy Wheeler," Jonathan shot back. "She's not just another suburban girl who thinks she's rebelling by doing exactly what every other suburban girl does. Who-"

"Hey, hey, hey!" I shouted, stepping between the two. "Now, whatever this thing is that's out here, I don't feel like becoming it's dinner. And I could give a shit less about what beef you guys have, whether it's about the pictures or not, but we are out here to find two people we all care about. So, both of you shut up or go home." 

I let out a huff and went to push past the two, but Jonathan's hand on my arm stopped me and he pulled me closer to him. I raised an eyebrow out of curiosity at him and he sighed before looking in Nancy's direction. "Nance, I apologize. About the pictures and what I said. I shouldn't have done either."

Nancy smiled slightly as she looked to the ground, kicking a rock with her boot. "I'm sorry, too. You're not even a creep, I don't know why I said that." 

I glanced back up to Jonathan, who was already grinning down to me. "Happy now?"He retorted, sliding his hand down my arm until our fingers were entwined. 

I shrugged, holding a smile back. "Ehh, a little bit," 

He used his free hand to grip my waist before he leaned down to pressing his lips to mine. The kiss was short and sweet, but it still sets my lips on fire with a burning passion and reassures me that maybe, just maybe, things will be okay from now on. Unconsciously, my lips turn up in a love-struck smile and Jonathan smirks at the sight of it.

"Ughh, you guys are too cute," Nancy mutters from the side, ruining the moment. "Want me to walk away for a few moments? You know, give you guys a little one-on-one time?" 

I chuckled. "Nah, I think we'll survive," I said, giving Jonathan a wink. "We should keep going anyway. It'll be dark soon."

Night quickly fell once we started walking again which caused the three of us to turn on our flashlights so we were able to see. A comfortable silence fell between us and Jonathan's cold hand was still wrapped around mine only because I could tell the deeper we got into the woods, the more nervous he was getting. 

I suddenly heard a small squeak and I stopped walking, causing Jonathan to stop with me as well. He sighed, "What, are you tired?"

"Shut up," I told him, straining my ears to listen.

"W-what?" 

"I heard something," I whispered. Jonathan went to reply, but he paused as the sound could be heard again before he began to pull me in the direction it could be heard. 

"Oh God," Nancy whispered as we all shined our light upon a dying, bloodied deer. The three of us all kneeled down in front of it.

"It's been hit by a car," I mumbled, releasing Jonathan's hand to reach forward and rest my hand on the deer for comfort. "She's probably suffering, we can't just leave her." I met eyes with Jonathan before the two of us looked down to the gun in my hand. I sighed, knowing what I had to do.