chapter nine

"You should be loving someone."

Spending time with Newt was everything I could ask for. I loved everything about it and it always felt familiar almost like we had met before, a thing that made me believe in soulmates. Or at least made me believe that maybe Newt and I had met before in some universe and now our souls decided that it was time for us to meet again. It was romantic to dream about our relationship in that way and that was probably a reason why I didn't actually want to admit it to other people. The thing was I didn't really know in what way I should think about the sort of relationship I shared with Newt. Something I couldn't quite name prevented me from asking him what he saw in our friendship - or maybe he wanted more than just friendship?

Sure, we had nearly kissed a few times already and most of the time it had ended with a really really flustered me and an awkwardly giggling Newt. There was no way to describe my avid desire to feel his lips on mine. I imagined them as soft and tasting simply like Newt. Things that scared me, because maybe I thought about it in such an utopian way that I wouldn't be able to accept the reality once I found out about it? That were the thoughts that kept me up at night... However there was still my romantic thoughts...

"legend says, when you can't sleep at night, it's because you're awake in someone else's dream."

It was something about Newt's indescribable presence that made me think about everything in a - sometimes really weird - poetic way. The thing was... I wanted to continue thinking about everything like this. I was fascinated by the way Newt thought about things, the way he could be completely excited about some things. The way he tried to be nice even if it was clear he was annoyed. I felt like he slowly made me a better person. Like I was unintentionally trying to become more like him.

The first time I noticed this sort of shift within myself was at lunch, where I was sitting together with Teresa and Brenda talking about meaningless things. And then I said something, at which Teresa responded with 'You sound just like Newt sometimes.' It became more frequent since that moment that people told me how much Newt and I were alike. Even people I didn't know told me that we seemed to be childhood friends or something like that.

However these comments only resulted into me thinking a lot more about how we could be soulmates and were meant to be. And maybe we had met in a life before - long story short I was absolutely completely and utterly helpless in love with Newt. And with every breath I hoped that he was feeling the same.

My thoughts were interrupted by my phone screen lightning up. A little bit confused my fingers searched for my phone on the nightstand, until I felt the familiar plastic of my phone case. I looked at the lock screen, recognising a message from Newt.

Newt [11:06 pm]: Still awake?

I almost tried to reply too quickly, having a thousand typos in my message. So I fixed all of them, not wanting that Newt was thinking anything bad about me.

Thomas [11:07 pm]: yeah, can't seem to find any rest, wby?

It didn't take Newt long to reply and my heart did this really weird flip as I read his reply.

Newt [11:09 pm]: you know, legend says when you can't sleep at night, it's because you're awake in someone else's dream... is there somebody you haven't told me about? ;D

Thomas [11:11 pm]: quick, make a wish !

Newt [11:11 pm]: I wish for Tommy to not be so romantic anymore xx

Thomas [11:12 pm]: Hey ! :(

Thomas [11:12 pm]: Also you're not supposed to tell me your wish !! It won't come true if you tell someone your wish !!