Chapter 15

"You surprise me, Gerard," Frank said one afternoon. Gerard looked down at him from the footstool he was standing on, and beamed.

"I surprise you? How so?" he asked, fixing a decoration onto his front door. Frank hummed and leaned against the wall, gesturing a little vaguely to the house.

"I mean. Isn't supporting the witchy-spooky-haunting season a little...un-Catholic?" he asked, a smirk tugging at his lips. Gerard rolled his eyes and grabbed the pumpkin, setting it on his doormat.

"Isn't having sex with other men a little un-Catholic too?" Gerard retorted, not turning around, but smirking to himself. Frank snorted, taking a pull of his cigarette.

"You'd have a point there, if we were having sex. Which, by the way, we're not. Trust me. I'd have noticed," he huffed. Gerard grinned and stepped down off his stool, a little shakily, before leaning in to kiss Frank gently.

"My apologies," he smiled. Frank sighed and rolled his eyes dramatically.

"You should be sorry. You...you damn Saint," he grinned. Gerard kissed him again.

"I'm hardly a Saint. Maybe... maybe compared to you. But that's not saying too much," he smiled, nuzzling into Frank's shoulder. Frank grinned and leaned in for another kiss, but Gerard pulled back, smiling weakly.
"We should go inside if we're gonna cuddle, baby. I don't...wanna get caught," he murmured, cheeks blossoming pink. Frank sighed and gave an almost sad smile.

"Ashamed of me, Father?" he teased, albeit weakly.

"No," Gerard answered, a little too quickly. Frank arched an eyebrow.

"I was joking. But uh. Are you? Ashamed to be with me?" he asked quietly. Gerard, unfortunately for the situation, hesitated. Frank's face crumpled a little, and the Priest let out a soft whine.

"It's not because you're you. It's because I'm me, you know?"

"It's not you it's me? Really Gerard?" Frank snapped, taking a step back. Gerard sighed and caught his sleeve.

"Babe, it's not like that. I'm a priest, and you're too young for me. I'm not ashamed of you, I'm ashamed...because of you," he tried, looking at Frank for approval. The latter's face, however, showed that the man had, once again, been unsuccessful. Fatally so.

"You're ashamed because of me?" Frank spat, drawing back. Gerard was, at first, relieved to see that he didn't seem angry. His heart fell a moment later, though, when he realised that Frank wasn't angry, because he was fighting tears. Gerard let out a soft whine and moved forward to hold his hand, but Frank snatched it back before he could, like he'd be burnt if he let the Priest's hands fall on him.
"No, fuck off. Fuck you," he said, shaking his head as he stumbled back a little. Gerard frowned and took a step forward. He was upset, then, that he'd left his cane inside. If Frank tried to leave, he wouldn't be able to go after him for long.

"Frankie, I promise I didn't mean it so bad. I adore you. Please, honey, come inside and –"

"And what? Be your little secret? Your filthy secret?"
He shook his head, biting his lip.
"I don't want that. I want you. I want to be able to... to have you. Really have you. Why can't I..." he shook his head again, this time with tears prickling in his eyes. Gerard looked resigned. What was he supposed to say? It's not like he could make out with Frank in front of the whole town. He'd lose his job, his friends. He'd lose everything.

And sure, Frank was worth it. He was worth...everything. But if he could have Frank and his life? That was preferable. By far.

"You have me," Gerard insisted, cupping his cheeks. He kissed him swiftly, holding his face. He wasn't entirely surprised, but was still hurt when Frank drew back, pushing on his chest.