Chapter One

Andre peered out the rather large metro bus window as he listened to the small chatter amongst the driver and another passenger

Andre peered out the rather large metro bus window as he listened to the small chatter amongst the driver and another passenger. All Andre could seem to think of was leaving the church premises before Stephanie could retrieve him a plate. It was not that Andre could not put pride aside, he simply had none. He didn't want to bother Stephanie with his many problems, he didn't want anyone to go out of their way to exclusively help him. Though Andre needed someone to keep him grounded at this point in his life. He could barely do it himself, so faithfully he decided to turn around his life in a positive way. He was traveling down to the local homeless shelter in hope that there was availability for him. He knew if there was no availability he would not be able to get back on this side of town for awhile. But in order to break a cycle we must take risks and go for what we want, or simply what we need.

The evening came around soundlessly. Skies were pasted with fluffy pearl clouds and a clear orange along the horizon. Andre's stomach no longer growled for the remainder of the day, it was past the time he should've found something to eat. He was tired of walking and wanted to give up, crash behind a gas station and start back up tomorrow. Andre knew he needed to do this today, because his spot could be taken tomorrow. So he kept on, and finally arrived at Blossom's Shelter. His fingers grasped the rusty metal handle and he entered. A thin woman behind the reception counter guided him to her and welcomed him. He looked around at the lively atmosphere of young and old. Taking an anxious gulp, he spoke.

"Hello, My name is Andre. Is there any availability here?"

"There is Andre. We just had a family of four move out and into an apartment complex. Our home is yours also, we allow our guests to work with counselors to build their lives back up successfully. Would you like to hear about our program and benefits?" She asked with a somber tone. Though this was all very overwhelming for Andre. All he sought was a place to lay his head, maintenance himself, and eat. He did not know people were so willingly to spend their time helping the homeless rebuild their lives. This is something Andre did want, but he was unsure of the timing.

"Do I need to be involved in that program? I-I just want somewhere to sleep." He paused, "Somewhere to eat, feel safe and comfortable in my own skin." He didn't feel comfortable being him, he wanted to grow into his skin again.

She pursed her lips, "We are here to help you in any way satisfying. Though it looks as if you are looking for a short-term center, which would be called Fawns Shelter." She nods politely.

"W-where is that located?" He sighs, rubbing his rough beard.

"Richmond, an hour from here." Sometimes we pass up great opportunities or don't chase them at all. Andre had quickly changed his mindset all together and lost his faith from church earlier, and waltzed out the home. He would find a place to sleep for a few days and head back to the other side of town.