Chapter Six

Stephanie exasperatedly strolled through the front doors of her work place and made eye contact with her co-worker Analyse

Stephanie exasperatedly strolled through the front doors of her work place and made eye contact with her co-worker Analyse. She noticed Analyse's proper posture and rosy red cheeks of blush, her smile was welcoming allowing Stephanie's anxiety to roll over. She pressed her heels forward and clocked in behind the desk.

"Morning Stephanie, Arnold informed us all about your mother's loss and we're so sorry to hear of it. There's some complimentary breakfast in the faculty lounge if you'd like." Analyse faced Stephanie as she watched her facial features descend. "I don't mean to make it a burden-"

"N-no, you're okay. Thank you, for telling me." Stephanie felt a lump in her throat after reliving all the tears she wept for her mother, but tried to compose herself at work. She barely wanted to come into today, but she knew she would be off on Friday and Saturday so she had to make the best of it. Stephanie placed her purse and belonging into the slots beneath the other half of the receptionist desk, and pleated down her skirt before walking back to the faculty lounge. Her fingers locked between each other, as she needed to fidget to keep her brain distracted.

She was going to enter the lounge before she only heard just masculine voices. A sultry and thick voice spoke to her manager Arnold, creasing her eyebrows she stepped before the door frame and popped her head in. "Am I interrupting?" She said.

"No not at all, come in dear. Sorry to hear about your mother, we know you loved her very much, our deepest condolences are with you." Arnold sympathetically embraces Stephanie and she embraces him back as he tucks in his thin lips and places his hands on his hips.

"Thank you Mr. Arnold, I appreciate it." Her eyes focused on him, but her sensory felt a pair of eyes burning over her, it was the man she heard speaking with Mr. Arnold.

"You're holding up well? I told you that you didn't have to come in today-"

Stephanie interrupted him with a low chuckle, "I need this job— I need the money for my rent. I appreciate it, but I've already taken two days off this week."

"If you insist, you always work hard and are an overachiever, I never expect less." He commends her as she then wonders why she makes less than Analyse and they perform the same job. She figured it was because of their infamous on and off again affair, but she wouldn't judge. "Oh, excuse my manners. Stephanie this is Rowland, Rowland this is Stephanie Gasher. Rowland will be completing and internship term here for a few months." Mr. Arnold introduces.

At first Stephanie places a fake smile on her face to hide her pain, but he becomes too familiar when she pores her eyes into his, and feels his smooth hands. His cornrows, creamy chocolate skin, and large stature was all too familiar. Her brain trotted back to her lively intoxicated night weeks ago where she and Syd went out for wings and drinks. She was surprised to even remember him. His firm handshake made Stephanie stiffen as Mr. Arnold announced his departure. Stephanie glanced around at the uneaten bagels, donuts, and coffee before awkwardly walking away. But Rowland was persistent, he saw the pain in her eyes.