Chapter Fifteen

Before the sun even began to rise, the brisk and poignant aroma of wood burning downstairs reached Andre's nostrils

Before the sun even began to rise, the brisk and poignant aroma of wood burning downstairs reached Andre's nostrils. The nightstand clock displayed in red numbers aware him it is only six in the morning. His eyes are hooded still and he can barely seen just by cracking them open. Releasing any strains in his upper body, he listened to his arms and shoulders move as he stretched out his body. His limbs relaxed and that is when he noticed Stephanie fell asleep on his chest.

Intentions rose to ask Martha exactly where his mother lived, then other intentions told him not to. He couldn't believe his mother was out of jail after all these years. Andre wondered if she would be the same woman he used to know when he was younger. He wanted answers that he knew he wouldn't know unless he spoke to his mother. Her absence has left him shattered for several years and to gain her back in his life may be beneficial to his life.

Observing her sudden breathing pattern that has now changed, Andre could tell Stephanie was awake. The gentleness of the pads of his thumb caressed into her sideburns, all the way to the temple of her forehead. His eyelashes battered downwards as he carefully stroked her hairline. "You don't have to pretend to be sleep."

"I'm not pretending." Her voice is a morning whisper that is barely misjudging that she is actually pretending to be sleep. "I'm just resting."

"Well good morning, is it okay if I talk while you rest?"

"Mhm, go ahead baby." Stephanie snoozed over his chiseled chest, hoping to gain more warmth from his body since the weathery mix has brought in another cold front that is almost sheeting through the crevasses in the windows. She was used to such an atmosphere with winter antics, but nothing was better than cuddling in the midst of it.

"I'm thinking about going to see my mom. I feel like I've been missing an incredible large portion of my life, living in mystery about her. I don't know who she is, and I want to. I just don't know where she is." Andre spoke, nothing above a whisper but so Stephanie could hear him.

"Dre, I work in a penitentiary. And I feel like there is a reason that Martha hasn't given you any details about her. When people leave those type of atmospheres, 80% of the time they aren't mentally who they used to be when they have entered. I think Martha has been saving you from her, even so God has been. It's almost like ignorance is bliss."

Andre doesn't process it the way Stephanie suddenly hopes, and she sighs before he even speaks again. "I don't think you understand. I don't even know why I expected you to-"

"So you're just going to walk because you don't necessarily like what I said about seeing her? Dre you can't be so close minded to what people tell you. Have you actually thought about this, in depth?" Stephanie now was somewhat awake and could open her eyes to find her glasses on the nearby nightstand.

"You're right, I just miss her. I want to see her, badly. Would you consider coming with me? I'm sure Jilly would watch Cari, she's always loved kids-"