Chapter Five

The next morning washed away last night's pain with an early morning rainstorm

The next morning washed away last night's pain with an early morning rainstorm. The earth molded a foundation of mud, along with portraits of leaves embedded in them. They stuck to the earth's surface and soaked with the help of trees crying out after a depressing rainstorm. Andre observed out the patio door two squirrels rummaging through piles of leaves for acorns. He noticed those leaves must've been full of poison ivy-- in some type of way. If he was the poison ivy, he knew that Stephanie was not afraid to get to the root of him despite what he appeared to look like. Over analyzing nature caused Andre's brain to snap back into reality once a door down the hall creaked open.

Cari clung tenaciously onto her stuffed animal, then rubbed the sockets of her eyeballs trying to see her morning avidly. Andre looked at how comfortable Stephanie was asleep on his chest, making him not want to get up from his spot. He couldn't deny this position was comfortable, he felt as if his large stature showed pleasant protection. His fingers weaves through her wild curls, her eyes fluttered gently but she did not awaken. His abdomen breathed up and down, somehow breathing at her same expense. Andre's hands fell to her shoulders as he realized their hearts were in sync at this very moment.

Cari was now beside him, gawking up at his morning appearance. Andre's eyes were slightly hooded and his lashes stuck together from the tears he wept before he slept. Andre's tears were tears for Stephanie, he hated to see her cry, be in such a vulnerable position at that.

"Is my mommy awake?" Cari peaked over Stephanie's shoulders, lifted her eyelids and watched them close back. "Why isn't she awake?" Cari sighed.

"She's still sleeping Cari." Andre's morning voice a rough and baritone manner, made Cari a little tense.

"Can you make me breakfast? I'm hungry." Cari picked up the television remote from the coffee table and turned it on. She placed the television on a children program Andre knew nothing about and watched her sit on the end of the couch.

"You want me t-to make you breakfast?" He asked as if he didn't hear her the first time.

"Yes, please." Cari replied with her large eyes glued to the television. Andre carefully scooted up from his position on the couch, and placed a pillow beneath Stephanie's face so she would feel comfortable without his body space. Andre's bones ached from the pore posture he occupied while sleeping causing him to stretch out his arms.

"How about you help me?" Andre turned to look towards Cari as she locked eyes with him. She placed her finger tip on her chin, poising her lips together to think. Andre conducted laughter at her comical expression and she stood up to follow him in the kitchen. The cold tile beneath their bare feet, exerted through their bodies making them colder than before. Cari watched Andre dig in the fridge for a few seconds before removing a carton of eggs and a package of bacon.

"Alright, eggs and bacon?" He offered sliding them beside the stove where the counter top was clear. He gazed around for a few pans and walked over to clean them out with a towel.