Chapter Nine

Stephanie placed her thumb behind the next page of her novel and flipped the page, while eating her lunch alone in the faculty lounge

Stephanie placed her thumb behind the next page of her novel and flipped the page, while eating her lunch alone in the faculty lounge. She enjoyed the serenity of the lounge when she was just alone. The mellow red and beige decor set a home scenery, the lounge at its best is midday when the sun peaks through the large windows. The rest of her coworkers went a little ways downtown to a restaurant Stephanie could not afford, though she kept that to herself. She feigned to be coming down with a cold and got a hot soup from Panera Bread. An hour didn't seem to have passed by her that fast, simply because it hadn't.

She creased her eyebrows as she heard a knock at the faculty lounge door before it opened. Rowland entered with a greasy paper bag that looked too familiar not to claim it was from Five-Guys. He exposed a sheer smile towards Stephanie as she watched him approach her. Stephanie wiped away any juiced from the corner of her lips and continued to watch Rowland set up his lunch right beside hers.

"I don't think I like you deadpanning me, what's up?" He chortles.

"Hey Rowland." Stephanie uttered then pushing her novel into her bag, since she knew he would already be an earful.

"I see you skipped out on the town, so did I." He mentions opening his bag and placing a fry into his mouth.

Stephanie nodded, "Why did you skip?"

"Felt like you were left out, so I changed my mind and came back here. Did I interrupt you on something?" Rowland asks as he gazes into Stephanie's glowing skin.

"Of course not." Stephanie sends an endearing head nod and allows her spoon to be smothered with broth that is still steaming hot. She dreaded conversations with Rowland.

"I think I did, but besides that... I'm getting a bit bored of working behind Clarence—well doing most of his work at this point." Rowland complains with a low tone, changing his gaze towards the large window frame.

"At least you have an internship, Clarence is a great lawyer so I would trash talk him behind his back if I were you." Stephanie replied.

"I'm a grown ass man, I don't talk behind men's backs. I just feel as an intern I shouldn't be doing 95% of his work load." He scoffs, Stephanie raised an eyebrow without looking at Rowland and placed it back down.

"Looks like you don't know what an internship means. At least you have one." She repeats.

"Does someone want an internship?" He joked aimlessly then noticing Stephanie's calm expression as she fiddled with her spoon again. "Wow, I'm sorry-"

"Don't be. I'll get what I deserve when I'm supposed to." Stephanie would run herself into the ground if she even attempted to chase after her dreams of becoming a lawyer right now. She had already started from the ground again by lending Andre her savings. There was no way she could go to work, care for Cari, and go to school at once. It was physically, mentally, and financially nonviable.