Chapter Two

Andre always dreamed of having half of his DNA combined with another half of DNA from the love of his life, combined into one

Andre always dreamed of having half of his DNA combined with another half of DNA from the love of his life, combined into one. To know that being would develop within his loves womb and be birthed. To holding the being, and loving the being unconditionally. Andre had that dream at the young age of 19 years old. It was something he was passionate about, something he was definite about doing. Sometimes we lose grasp of everything that we have and lose it all. We all lose a part of us, it's life. Andre's girlfriend and new born son were killed in a car accident. She thought she could make a light and was t-boned by a large SUV. As humans, we take risks that can turn into regrets. This is where Andre's hard endeavors began when he lost his family.

Andre was not motivated after the joint funeral of his highs school sweetheart and son. He didn't go into work for months on and eventually lost his job. He didn't take care of anything he owned or himself. Andre couldn't even afford his car or home after six months in. It was like his life fell before his eyes and he had no time to pick it up. It was a traumatizing effect on his soul that still hurts him today. Now that he is twenty-five, he has learned to move on from the tragedy, but he still thinks of the both of them.

"Andre?" Stephanie proceeded down the empty street row of fast food restaurants, noticing that Andre was in a totally different world. "What would you like?"

"Should a homeless person really be picky?" He slumped himself into the seat and sighed, realizing his sarcastic tone. He didn't mean to come off a little rude, but thinking about his old life made him reminisce.

"Andre, it's alright. I have a little bit of time before I need to be home to tuck in Cari. You're not a burden and I don't mind it." Stephanie insists. She could tell he was still hesitant and resistant to her help, but she wanted him to learn it is okay to trust her. Andre gazed out the window, paying close attention to the restaurants they approached.

"McDonald's is okay." He said quietly.

"Oh mommy can I get a milkshake?" Andre listened to Cari's little voice beam from the back seat.

"I suppose, but you must brush your teeth again." She looked through the mirror at Cari and Cari agreed happily. "So Andre where are you from?" Stephanie pulls into the parking lot to find a space.

"Um, Washington state. Moved out here when I was accepted to a few colleges here." Andre began to sink into sweet memories that have now faded and that he cannot relive.

"That's different, I went to community college and got my associates degree in criminal justice. For now I just work at a law firm fifteen minutes from here." Stephanie parked between two cars and turned the car off. Andre realized he could start to relax around Stephanie because of her genuine personality.

"So you want to be a lawyer?" Andre inquired as they all walked into McDonald's. The atmosphere was lively to be setting on eight in the evening. Andre stood behind Stephanie in line and observed his attire. The same attire, but tried to notice if it was dirtier than it was last week, and it was.