-F O U R-

Chapter Four: Bad Dream

"Well hello to you too, Lindsay," I rolled my eyes.

She just frowned at me, crossing her arms over her chest. She was serious. She looked so much like mom, it was unbelievable. Her brown hair was straightened and pulled into a ponytail. She was wearing a white button-up with the sleeves rolled up midway, black pants, and black pumps. Her makeup was simple but beautiful. Her eyeliner had a small wing and she had on brown eyeshadow. Her lips were wine red.

She looked unimpressed by Griffin. After a few more seconds of examining him, she turned to me with a glare. I rolled my eyes. Ever since we young, she's always assumed I was afraid of her because she was older. Even back then I wasn't intimidated by her. She's just three years older. There's isn't a huge difference between us.

"I asked you a question. Answer it," She ordered. Mufasa cowered away from the tone of her voice.

"Excuse me, but last time I checked I didn't come from your vagina so-"

"Answer the damn question, Mackenzie," She glared.

"-and anatomy says you can't produce me. Therefore, you have no authority over me," I finished with a grin.

"You little-" Before she could finish, Griffin shot up and stuck his hand out to her.

"Griffin Ryder," He introduced himself, attempting to defuse the situation.

She glared at me for a few more seconds before turning to Griffin. Her glare turned into a simple frown. If Griffin was nervous, I couldn't tell. He stood there, straight-faced. His hand didn't even shake. Either he was a good actor or he simply wasn't intimidated by her. That would be a refreshing change. It seems like everyone is intimidated by Lindsay. In reality, Lindsay's all bark and no bite.

She finally shook his hand once she realized he wasn't afraid, "Lindsay Oliver. However, who I am isn't important. Who you are is."

"I see," His voice was calm. "You think there's something going on here. There isn't. Mackenzie is only a friend of mine. Though friend isn't very accurate. Acquaintances would be accurate."

She crossed her arms again, "How do you two know each other?"

My palms got sweaty. Knowing Lindsay, she'd want him to answer rather than me. I didn't want my family to know about my situation. It seemed selfish to me. Having them worry about me for the next year wasn't fair. Then again, dying early is also wrong, but I'd rather them live happily while they can. I didn't want to burden them. Not yet.

I glanced over at Griffin. He seemed as confident as Lindsay. I still wasn't assured. He and I didn't discuss the plan. We really only talked about the old people he helped. When he opened his mouth to speak, I felt my heart drop. Even if Lindsay didn't want to listen to me, I had to speak up. I had to protect her.

"Micah and I got into an argument!" I suddenly blurted without thinking.

They both turned to me. Lindsay's expression immediately softened, "Oh honey, are you okay?"

I shook my head, "It's just- I don't understand. What's wrong with me?"

She pulled me into a hug, "Oh, Kenzie. It's okay."

Over her shoulder, I motioned for Griffin to leave. When he raised his eyebrow, I began violently jabbing my thumb towards the door. He nodded and cleared his throat, making it awkward for more effect.

"I should be going," He stated. "Wouldn't want to ruin a family moment."

With that, he left. I was officially alone with Lindsay. I know it's wrong to lie, especially about relationships, but I couldn't think of anything else. Now I was tasked with trying to be sad about what happened. In reality, I didn't really care. After all, I am the one who started it. If anything, Micah should be the one who's upset, but he probably isn't. He's probably already spun the story around and made me sound like some psycho.