-F O R T Y - F I V E-

Chapter 45: This is Halloween

A million things were going through my head at once. Multiple voices said I was an idiot. Others said this was the right thing to do. My own voice was drowned out by the others' screaming. I knew what I wanted and why.

But would the end justify the means?

I would have to go either way. This way, I'd have control over my life. Besides that, it would come back for me again, so there was no real point in waiting forever. I knew Griffin wouldn't be happy with me, and I couldn't blame him. I decided to write him and the others letters. Two months from now, once it's done, they'd all have something personal from me. I wanted to spend one last Christmas with my family before leaving them once and for all.

I could only hope that was enough.

As much as I wanted to sit in my room and prepare for the next two months, I had a lot to do. It was Halloween, which meant a party and last-minute costume shopping with Griffin. I was excited I finally had someone to do a couple costume with.

I decided I wanted to be the Queens of Hearts while he was the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland. I made sure to get the rest of my costume before today, so I'd have everything. All I needed now was the crown. Griffin still needed his rabbit ears and, surprisingly, a vest. The one from last year wouldn't work and he didn't have any others.

I threw on an oversized hoodie and leggings. Kira argued that I should take one of Griffin's, but he didn't wear them. He never had a reason to since it took a lot for him to get cold. I slipped into a pair of flats and joined my boyfriend outside in his car.

Ooh, I like the sound of that.

Wait really?

Of course! That means his hot voice friend belongs to me.

I rolled my eyes and sat down in Griffin's car. It was just as nice as it was the last time I rode in it. He turned to me with a smile.

"Hey, Mackenzie," He leaned over and kissed my cheek.

I felt myself freeze for a moment, flushing, "H-hey Griffin."

Immediately, he became alarmed, "What's wrong?!"

"Just a bit cold," I lied, turning to face the window.

With that, we rode to the store silently. Griffin hummed comfortably, while I silently suffered. He had become a lot more affectionate lately and I was never prepared for cute moments like that. It sent me into a frenzy every time.

It didn't take too long to get to the store. Before I could take my seatbelt off, Griffin was at my door, opening it for me. I rolled my eyes, smiling like an idiot. He was such a cheesy person. I grabbed my phone and we headed into the store hand-in-hand. His large hand shielded mine from the cold fall breeze.

Once we were inside, I let go of his hand and disappeared into the costumes. It was a bittersweet feeling to be back in the costume shop. I didn't expect to be here again, and I knew I wasn't going to be here again. I stood there awhile, absorbing it all. I knew exactly where the crown was, but I wanted to spend a few minutes remembering the details.

"Mackenzie?" I glanced at the girl from the corner of my eye. "Mackenzie Oliver?"

"Yeah. Who are you?" I turned completely to her.

She smiled, "I go to Applewood and-"

I sighed, "If this is about me being popular-"

She shook her head, "No. I'm in my senior year and I need advice. You survived even with everything that was thrown at you. Any tips?"