-T H I R T Y - T H R E E-

Chapter Thirty-three: Proposal

GRIFFIN'S POV

The halls of Applewood High were a lot livelier these days. Prom was just around the corner and everyone wanted to have the best "prom-posal." Personally, I thought it was a waste of money. Something sincere would certainly suffice if your date cared about you rather than something extravagant. They did the same thing when I was in high school. Everyone wanted to be the best and totally forgot about the point.

Still, it was all so amusing.

Especially the girls who demanded so much and were immediately disappointed by the heartfelt proposal. I was thankful I didn't have to endure it all. It was like a scene from a drama show. Something like a soap opera without the slapping and yelling. Well, not as much slapping and yelling.

Before I could walk into the lunch room, a hand latched onto my arm and began pulling me away. It took everything in me not to use my power to throw them down the hall in self-defense. It turned out to be Indie. The look of urgency in her eyes was alarming. For a moment, I worried if something had happened to Mackenzie again.

"Griffin, I need your help."

"Is Mackenzie okay?" Was the first thing I asked.

"Fine, but this is important. Kira and I have dates to prom. Kenzie, however, does not. You're the only one I trust to ask her. I know you two aren't dating, but-"

"Indie, I-"

"Please, Griffin. Prom is apparently supposed to be one of the best nights in a girl's life and I don't want her to feel like she's just there to support her friends. At some point in her life, prom was super important to Kenzie and I just want her to be happy. So, could you do me this one favor?"

It took a moment for me to respond. She had given me a lot to process. She wanted me to not only go to prom but to ask Mackenzie to be my date. I had to realize she had no idea about the circumstances that brought Mackenzie and I together, so she didn't know what she was asking.

Ryder, don't do it. You know what alcohol did to you last time. Keeping your distance as much as possible is the best option here.

I ignored the voice, considering Mackenzie. Knowing her, she would feel like the odd one out. Prom had a reputation of being a key element of someone's high school life. Mackenzie would've gone with Micah if I hadn't come along. She may not have been very happy, but she wouldn't be the only one without a date. It was my job to make sure this last year of hers was good. If this was how I had to do it, then so be it.

"Okay."

She smiled at me, "I owe you big time. Also, she's not super high maintenance, so you don't have to be over the top when asking her. Just keep who she is at heart in mind."

I silently nodded, thinking of everything Mackenzie had taught me. Everything that made her into the person she is today. I made sure to remember how much she hates her file. She thought it was insensitive, which was true.

The files were given are basically an outline of our client. It gives the actions, but not the purposes behind them. It was like a permanent record that tracks only your mistakes. Your problems. It's like a track record of your regrets and insecurities.

Lost in thought, I bumped into Mackenzie. She frowned at me, though I knew she was more concerned than upset. I quickly apologized and followed her to our next class. Even though she tried to keep me focused, I paid no attention to any of my afternoon classes.

Suddenly, I understood the stress behind wanting to have the best proposal. Not everyone wanted to show off. It was more about impressing your date. I thought of all the ways to ask her, but I couldn't quite decide on one. Mackenzie was an interesting person.