Chapter 2

Trying hard not to tremble, Hermione made her way toward the gates of Hogwarts. She packed all her necessary items in her trunk and shrunk it to fit into her pocket. She didn't take the things she really valued. If something went wrong, and with Voldemort for a husband something was bound to go wrong, she didn't want Voldemort to have them. Harry had promised to take good care of her things until she returned. It was just small stuff, an album with pictures of her parents, her old teddy bear (she stopped sleeping with it ten years ago, but it made her feel safe to know that she had it within reach), some of her grandmother's jewellery and most of her books. The only things she bought with her were clothes, weapons and her less valuable books. Not that she thought Voldemort would let her keep the weapons, but she'd rather come prepared than not. She could fight with knives. Remus Lupin had taught her how last summer, and Hermione had kept practising the simple movements in her spare time. Not that she would have any chance against a real master (which Kingsley Shackleblot had proven after a quick fight), but if she caught someone by surprise, she stood a chance.

After going over the knife movements and the most effective spells in her head, she felt ready to Apparate. She closed her eyes and thought about the place Dumbledore showed her on a map. She felt the sensation of moving fast through space and when she opened her eyes, she was standing on a deserted road near a small town. Her heart beat rapidly when she started to walk toward the graveyard. It was dark, but she followed the road and soon she saw the first gravestones. The cemetery appeared to be empty, but when she was standing in the middle of it, she heard movements behind her. She turned around and saw none other than Lucius Malfoy coming toward her. He had a mocking smile on his aristocratic face.

"Well, well, isn't it the new missus? Are you alone?" the blond wizard asked.

Hermione couldn't make a sound. Her throat felt like a desert. She just nodded.

"Good. Your husband couldn't be here today, but he gave me orders to bring you to his temporary residence." Malfoy stepped toward her. Hermione tried not to flinch when he gripped her arm. He smiled a nasty smile before he Apparated them away.

When Hermione opened her eyes, she found herself inside a small fire lit room almost devoid of decoration. The walls were grey in colour and there were no windows. Only a small table which seemed to be very unsteady was standing in the middle of the room.

"Please put all your belongings on the table," Malfoy demanded, "and your wand."

Hesitating, Hermione put her trunk on the table. Other than that, she only had the clothes she was wearing and the necklace that Dumbledore gave her. Leaving her things made her weary. It didn't make her any calmer that she had to leave her wand there too. She tried to tell herself that Voldemort had to protect her… Or was he just obligated to protect her after they consummated their marriage? She shuddered.

Malfoy transformed the trunk to its normal size and opened it.

"Weapons?" Malfoy seemed surprised. "We all assumed you would try to kill the Dark Lord but… isn't this a little too obvious?"

Hermione found her voice. "I… Those are just for practising. I'm not very good."

"I see…" Malfoy turned around and eyed her more carefully. "Take off your robe."

"W-what?"

"Now."

Hermione opened her robe and threw it over her trunk. She wore blue jeans and a simple white t-shirt underneath. Malfoy's lips curled when he saw her Muggle clothing. He bent down and put a hand on her ankle. Hermione made a grimace when he found the hidden knife. She hadn't really planned to use it, but she always hid a knife there since the previous summer. Lupin had told her that one could never be prepared enough.