Chapter 26

Now when Hermione was with Voldemort and Dmitri again, things went back to normal. Or, as normal it could be when you were living with the Dark Lord. Since Dumbledore's death, things had begun to change in the wizarding world. Voldemort wasn't slow to take advantage of it. Hermione didn't know what he did, even with her secret ability to see into his mind. He only came back to the room to sleep and have sex with her. She didn't complain. Some would think she should be angry with him for killing one of her best friends. However, Hermione was only relieved to be back with her son. Besides, Voldemort was always killing someone. At least Harry was at peace. She knew he was. If there was a heaven, he and Ron were probably there right now, playing Quidditch with James Potter and Sirius Black. Hermione missed them, but truth to be told, she didn't miss them as much as she had missed Dmitri.

It was the end of April and spring was at its peak. Dmitri had begun to put everything he touched in his mouth so Hermione tried to keep an eye on him all the time. He had already put Besch in his mouth twice. Since Besch was very poisonous, Hermione was afraid she would bite the child. Nevertheless, Hermione didn't want to spend all her time in her room. She conjured up a carrying bed so she could take Dmitri with her when she went somewhere.

One morning, she decided to pay a visit to the Discipline Room for a workout. She didn't like to have her child around the Death Eaters, but if they knew what was good for them, they would leave him alone. Dmitri smiled and made small noises when Hermione explained for him what they were about to do.

"Don't be so cute," she ordered with a smile. "The Death Eaters don't deserve it."

Dmitri let out a small giggle-noise. Hermione smiled at him and took the Floo down to the room. There were only around ten others there. They looked up when she passed them, but soon got back to what they were doing. Hermione placed Dmitri's crib on a bench and began to warm-up, yoga style. She was in the middle of a sun salutation when she heard someone approach.

"Hi!" It was Max Lestrange.

Hermione changed to the lotus position. "Hi! I haven't seen you for so long!"

Max sank down to the floor. "I know. I guess you have been busy… being kidnapped and all."

She snorted. "Don't remind me. How have you been?" When she asked, she took a closer look at him. He seemed to be very well. His hair was still long, but he had put it up in a ponytail. His dark blue eyes were smiling, just like his mouth. Hermione felt herself lighten up immediately. Not that she had been angry, before. Max only made her happier.

"Good, good. A bit busy with the twins, but you knows how it can be. How about you?"

"I have my son back, so I can't complain."

He looked at the child's bed. "Ah, yes. Dmitri, right? He is… what? Three months old?"

"He will be next week." Hermione reached over to the child's bed and lifted up the baby. "Say hello to Max, honey."

The baby blew a bubble of spit. Max began to laugh. "Cute."

Hermione stroked her son's head. "Yes, he is."

"Can I hold him?" Max asked.

Hermione hesitated. Max was nice, but did he know how to hold a baby? Hermione snorted at her own silliness. Of course he could! Carefully, she gave the baby to him.

Dmitri whimpered a little when he left his mother's arms. Max shushed him and the baby fell quiet. Hermione watched them with a smile on her face. Max was rocking him slowly and he seemed to be such a natural with children.

"Sometimes I can't wait to become a father as well," he said and smiled down at the small boy.

"Really? How old are you?" Hermione asked, a bit surprised. She didn't have many manly friends anymore, but she had always thought that young men didn't want to have children.