Ch. 29

"Took you long enough to remember."

The words were spoken in a harsh hiss. Hermione spun around just in time to see her husband close and lock the door, his hands shaking when he did it. Hermione stood; it was never good to face an angry Dark Lord sitting on the floor.

"Voldemort…" She didn't know what to say.

"Don't," he said with his eyes on the man on the floor. "Just don't."

Max was no longer blushing, instead his face was white in fear. "M-my Lord."

"Oh, so now you remember as well." Voldemort let out a high, cold laugh. His hands were still trembling and Hermione didn't know if it was from anger or from something else. "When I'm done with you boy, your father will be searching for the pieces of your body for weeks. Unless I kill him too and then no one will care about finding you."

Hermione knew she had to do something fast, or else Max would die. She didn't want anyone else to die because of her.

"It was just a mistake," Hermione said in a low voice. "I was sad and Max just-"

"Didn't I tell you to shut up?" Voldemort turned toward her. His eyes were like a red storm. "If you say one more word, you will also be searching for pieces of your son for the next couple of weeks!"

That made Hermione realise how furious Voldemort was. He had never threatened to kill Dmitri before, to send him away, yes, but never kill him. However, instead of becoming scared like Voldemort surly had intended, she became angry. She went up to him and slapped him. Voldemort became so surprised that he merely blinked at her.

"Don't you dare threaten our son! If you kill him, I swear by any God in the world that I will make you suffer more than you have ever made anyone suffer before!" she screamed.

Voldemort gripped the front of her robe. "Hit me again woman and it will be the last thing you ever do."

She wanted to hit him again. She wanted to rip his throat out and let him bleed to death. However, thanks to the Contract, she couldn't. So what did she do? She kissed him. She kissed him long and hard until she almost fainted because of the lack of oxygen. When she finally let him go, she realised that she was also pressing him against her and that his arms were around her, they were both crying.

"How could you?" Voldemort whispered. "You are mine! You love me! How could you do this?"

There it was again. Hermione's eyes narrowed, why did he think she loved him? Why did he say she loved him? She was certain she had never told him she loved him, not even in the tones of passion. Did she love him? Nevertheless, that was not the problem now. Right now, she needed for him to calm down.

"It was just a mistake," she said and stroked his cheek. "I'll make it up to you."

Voldemort seemed to relax. "Yes, you will."

Hermione relaxed as well and leaned her forehead against his shoulder. Voldemort held her tightly against his body, just like a little boy who had lost and found his dearest teddy bear.

"Why is he even here?" Voldemort suddenly asked.

Hermione realised that this wasn't the best time to start an argument about Reya. "He came to fetch his father's camera."

"Then why were you crying?"

She sighed and turned her head. Max was still frozen in shock. Although, he seemed to try to make himself as small as possible.

"He gave me a letter from Reya," Hermione said as indifferent as she could. If she could make Voldemort believe that it didn't mean anything, perhaps Max wouldn't die because of that.