A Dose of Kindness

*Chapter Two Remastered*

Hello everyone! From now on, this novel is undergoing edits. At the top of every chapter, if you see the little stars that means that this part of the novel has been remastered. It will NOT always be faithful to the original. In addition to grammatical edits, there will also be revisions regarding plots, characters, and locations to make this a neater and more coherent story to follow. The blurb has also been remastered. All original chapters will be LOCATED AT THE VERY BOTTOM in case you want to compare changes or reread anything! Thank you so much for your love and support and I hope you enjoy A Dose of Kindness Remastered!

***

"Agna!" Vivia called out. "Do you mind? The poor man is sleeping."

Agna took up her bow and let another arrow fly. It landed on the roof. "How is that delightfully attractive creature doing anyway?"

Before Agna could shoot another arrow, Vivia plucked it from her best friend's hands and tossed the rest into the snow, letting them scatter. Agna glared at her as she spoke. "You would call him that."

"Well, seeing as how he's been asleep practically the whole time he's been in your care, it's been rather difficult trying to get a name out of him."

Vivia shook her head. Agna was a sight to behold, even rosy-cheeked and shivering from the cold. Soft lashes framed large almond-shaped eyes that were slightly upturned and the color of burning embers. Thick ebony hair framed her porcelain face and was swept up into a half up half down do. Even when they were younger Agna was beautiful, having never gone through the dreadful ugly duckling stage that Vivia did—in fact, still feared she hadn't grown out of it yet.

"What do you think Tomas will say?" Agna asked. "He'll be here in a few days to check on you."

Vivia gnawed on her bottom lip. "I still haven't thought that far ahead yet."

"Tomas will be furious—"

"That old man was born furious." Vivia rolled her eyes.

Agna gathered her arrows and put them back in her quiver. Overnight the clouds had parted, revealing a radiant blue sky. Sunlight washed over the lands for miles, giving the illusion that they were lost in a sea of opal. The two of them started to make their way back to the cottage but Agna stopped a few feet away from the front porch, concern clouding her features.

"What's wrong?"

"You found him on the southern end of the forest," Agna said. "That's where the rebels are. What if you brought home some rogue runaway?"

Vivia her hands together to fight off the cold. She forgot her gloves inside. "That poor man. He can't be a runaway. He barely remembers anything. Perhaps he was robbed on the road, got into a fight, and tried to get away. We don't know his story."

"That's exactly my point," Agna gave her friend a pointed look. "Be wary of him. You shouldn't be in that house alone with him."

"What is he going to do?" Vivia inquired. "Kill me? Force himself upon me? The man can hardly keep his eyes open for more than five minutes, let alone try and cause any harm. I'm alright, truly." She glanced at the cottage window. "He has no one."

"As you once did?"

Vivia remained silent.

It was no secret that Vivia had a soft spot for the ones that got left behind. She had once been an orphan, abandoned on the side of the road when she was scarcely old enough to remember her own name. Tomas and his wife Elda had found her and adopted her since they were unable to have any children. Vivia always thought it was divine providence on behalf of the Gods that all three found each other the way that they did. The Ellspires longed for a child and she was in need of a family. Elda died nearly three years ago and it had been Tomas and her ever since.