Fallen Hero

The next day, Vivia thought that something was off with Tomas. He fervently wrote several letters and had her mail every single one of them to separate addresses. He also threw several letters and folded up pieces of paper into a box and forced her to mail the parcel as well. He insisted she do it today. 

"Papa I could always mail it tomorrow--"

"No, Vivia, today," he said. "I want it mailed today!"

So she did so. Luc wasn't really home today, as he was off sending his soldiers on another errand that would keep them out of Canta for a while longer. He said something about picking up the wheelchair early, but she and Luc didn't speak much that morning. It was mostly quiet in the house.

She was going through her medicine cabinet for something for her headache. She felt a fierce throbbing in the back of her skull all day and it persisted in making her miserable.

"Vivia?" Tomas said.

"Yes, Papa." she said, not paying much attention.

"I would die a very happy man knowing that you decided to marry Luc," he said.

At this, she turned around to face him. "What?"

"It would make me very happy if you married him."

Suffering through her headache was worth it if she could avoid this conversation. "I'll be downstairs if you need anything."

As she made her way to the stairs he called out, "Sometimes I regret it."

"Regret what?" she asked him.

"Raising you to be so good."

                                                                            ***

A week later, Tomas died.

                                                                             ***

It was pouring the night Tomas died, and Vivia sobbed at his bed said, clutching his hand. Lukas could still remember his words.

"My son," Tomas had said to him. "You are a rare and wonderful thing. I have loved you in this life as if you were my own. May you have the strength to always make the right choice. She is the right choice. She will always be the right choice. Never forget that."

He would never forget those words.

                                                                       ***

Luc had been the one to shut Tomas's eyes when he died. Vivia had her father's final words seared into her brain.

"My dear, things have been set in motion for you since the day you were born. I have sought to it that you are not alone. You have Elda's good heart, my wisdom, your mother's strength, and your father's moral compass. You have been the greatest joy of my life. I loved you the moment you became mine."

She would not forget these words.