Prologue

"You thought that there were still lines you didn't cross...People you wouldn't hurt."

"Tatia! Tatia! Tat..."

Elijah was interrupted by the fall of the doppelgänger. She stumbled over a branch lying in her way when she fled from the newly turned vampire. 

"Wait! Wait.."

Tatia stood up and stumbled backwards. Her voice was low and threatening, her courage winning over the fear. 

"Stay away from me!"

"I won't hurt you!"

The Original held his hands up, showing his lover that he meant no harm to her. But instead of calming, Tatia spat.

"What have you become?!"

"I'm what I've always been, the one that loves you." 

He was breathless, in fear that the love of his life wouldn't accept him as what he was now. 

"Your mother asked for my blood, but she said nothing about the dark magic that would turn you into a monster." 

Tatia's voice came out chocked of the tears she tried to hold back. She regretted helping turn Elijah's family into these dark, killing creatures. 

"Look at me, I'm not a mons..."

Both of them looked down to Tatia's bleeding hand. Elijah felt his darkest desire, the lurking need of the thick, red life essence, again. The smell of her blood aroused him and the hunger lingering in his throat overwhelmed him.

He stepped closer to the doppelgänger, but was stopped by a hard slap against his cheek. Desperately she tried to fight, but her weak attempts wouldn't stop the vampire. 

"I said I won't hurt you...I don't want to..."

When he looked back up the veins around his eyes changed into a dark red. Long fangs pierced his lower lip. 

"Elijah..."

Tatia was frightened and frozen in motion. She just stared at the monstrous face of the man she loved. 

"Run."

Elijah said, giving into his savage nature. The hunt was short, seconds after her attempt to flee, the vampire grabbed her from behind and bit into her exposed neck. 

It took minutes for Elijah to realize what he had done. He opened his eyes, his teeth still buried in the neck of the now limp body of Tatia. 

Later he wouldn't remember that at first his eyes met with the warm brown ones of a child hiding behind a tree. It glimpsed at the horrendous scene but ran off after it felt that the monster was looking at her. 

...

20 years later, the child had grown into a beautiful young woman. Everyone told her about her likeliness to her passed away mother. Their brown eyes and dark, brunette hair matched, but everyone knew of the famous warmth and kindness the daughter radiated. She always had an open ear and a warm soup for villagers in need. It was her special gift, when she smiled, everyone's mood lightened up, no one could be mad at her. 

Amelia lived the perfect life. Her husband loved her, the whole village adored her. She gave birth to a beautiful, healthy son months ago. He was a really nice baby, sleeping sound in his crib, laughing cheerfully when his mother held him. Her friends often visited her just to watch this little scene of perfect peace. 

But a secret from Amelia's childhood clouded her happiness. Never could she forget what she had seen when she was just a young girl playing in the woods. Clearly she could see the eyes of the monster that murdered her mother seconds ago. His lips were still covered with innocent's blood. 

Elijah. 

Her mothers lover was also the man that killed her in cold blood. His name was burned into her soul, making her afraid of  the creatures that lurked in the shadows. Since that moment she never really trusted anyone. She knew that the family of monsters was long gone, but there was still the lingering fear of the moment that someone close to her would show his fangs and suck her dry. 

Amelia was the only one that knew about the massacres that happened all this time ago, because she was the only one surviving it. The new settlers found her alone in the woods and took her in as a welcomed new daughter. Of course they asked her what had happened, but she lied to them, pretending that she did not remember. 

With all of her effort she tried to cover her inner torment, and she succeeded. Still, she never went out alone in dark and sometimes had problems to fall asleep, having the eerie feeling that the monsters were near her. 

She was right to be afraid.

The night that would change her entire life was quite stormy. Being a merchant, her husband was out on one of his many travels. She missed him dearly, but was happy for him that he could see more of the world than just their little village. Even though the storm let the windows rattle, Amelia's son slept peacefully. But his mother was restless. She laid in her bed, her eyes open, staring at the ceiling. The fear that clenched her stomach like an iron fist was back. She hadn't felt it since her child was born, but today it hit her with all of its force. 

After hours of tossing herself around the sheets, Amelia decided to stay up and heat up some milk in the kitchen. 

When she bent down to grab the pot, she heard a low whistle, like a little breeze of air shifting. She quickly turned around and held the pot up in defense. 

"Who's here? What do you want?"

Her voice was confident, but her hands shook in fear. But nothing moved, the room was dark, but quiet. 

She breathed in deeply and closed her eyes for a second. This was getting the best of her, she was becoming paranoid. 

When she opened her eyes again, she saw someone standing closely in front of her. Before she could even breathe, he grabbed her neck and pushed her roughly against the wall. 

It was him. The man that killed her mother. She remembered his cold, sinister, dark brown eyes. His lips were a narrow line. 

Amelia expected that he would now take her life. She could already feel his sharp teeth on her soft skin. 

But something else happened. Before his mouth touched her neck, he lifted his head back up, looking into her frightened eyes again. He saw something in them, because he changed his mind suddenly. Instead of biting her, Elijah hurt his own wrist and forced his blood down the young woman's throat. After she gulped it down, he took his head in his hands and looked deeply into her eyes.

"Now no one living will remember."

His voice was low and compelling. He waited a moment so she could take the words in and simply broke her neck in a swift movement of his hands. 

Before he disappeared, he watched the limp body on the floor. It was a deja vu, she looked exactly like Tatia lying in her last breath. 

...

"Amelia, what is that you desire most?"

"Revenge."

"Of whom?"

"Elijah Mikaelson."