Chapter 19

"Amelia..."

He didn't shout. He didn't seem aggressive. He smiled.

His voice was deadly calm, her name rolled off his tongue smoothly and it scared Amelia to the edges of sanity. She tried to hide her fear by stopping her hands from shaking, but her eyes gave her away. Fear for her life was visible. 

The heretic had to hold back a flinch when Lucifer stepped closer to her. He raised his hands, his eyes on hers. She braced herself for a terrible pain to come, but nothing happened. Instead, she saw the bodies of all the people she stroke unconscious before shifting at her feet. Her eyes scanned the rooms confused when she saw it: they weren't waking up, they were trembling, their bodies shook by muscle spasms. When Amelia looked closer, she saw that the skin of the humans were covered in blisters, like they were boiling from the inside. She wasn't wrong with that. But before she could say anything else, the bodies suddenly exploded. Amelia tried hard to hold back a shriek and magically managed to stay silent. Her eyes opened again and she saw Lucifer standing close in front of her. He was covered in blood and in things she didn't want to have a closer look at as Amelia herself was. 

It was ironic; his look now was so cliché that she nearly let out a hysterical laugh. His flawless face had a stoic, scary impression on it, all the blood on it intensified it. 

Now Amelia's whole body was shaking in fear. What would he do to her? 

"You see how powerful I've become. It would be quite easy for me to go out and slaughter your precious family in the matter of seconds."

Her glance was glued to the floor. She was afraid to look up and see clearly that she underestimated him. All that to save some girls she didn't even care about. It was foolish, she knew that Elijah would be disappointed in her. She couldn't count how many people she had murdered in these few months. Now a whole Parisienne cafe was on her body count. 

"I...I'm sorry." 

Lucifer leaned forward and she felt his cool breath on her face. He placed a finger her chin and lifted it up to force her to look at him. His dark brown eyes bore into hers and she again saw how different they were to Elijah's. There wasn't any kindness and love into them. 

"It's such a shame that you aren't connected to me anymore. Honestly, Amelia, you were loyal to me for that long. I'm disappointed. What a pity I can't threaten your dear Elijah's life to talk you back into our bond. It won't work. But he always stood in our way, doesn't he?"

He glanced down onto her wedding ring and shook his hand.

"He's your son, Lucifer! You can't hurt him."

Lucifer sighted and rolled his eyes.

"Do you really think I care? He isn't of any use for me anymore. But don't be afraid, I'll let him life. At least he serves as leverage from time to time. But now, we have to think of a proper punishment for you, shall we?" 

Amelia bravely stared into his eyes. She wouldn't let him win, he wouldn't break her again. 

He lowered his face even more and whispered in her ear. 

"Well, but you don't need to use that pretty head of yours. I think your obvious fear of me is punishment enough, isn't it? Just remember, dear Amelia, I'll always be able to make your suffer." 

The devil's smile spread on his face and he turned around, stepping over some bodies. 

"Go back home, darling. I have things to take care of." 

...

In the evening Amelia sat in the dining room, her legs were placed on the table and she gave Lucifer an annoyed look. She remembered how she used to place her legs on Elijah's lap every evening, how he gently caressed her skin or even massaged her feet and she swallowed, her heart aching.

Bonnie, Elena and Caroline sat opposite her. Amelia had no clue how Lucifer got through Klaus' protection and she was filled with worry. She knew that he hadn't killed the hybrid, but sometimes death wasn't the worst thing when it came to Lucifer's sick ideas.

"Amelia, please mind your manners. There's food on the table." 

He scolded her like a child and she rolled her eyes, but taking her feet off the table. The devil motioned for the girls to eat, but besides from Amelia, no one took a bite. She shot them a warning a glare, insisting that they should do as they're told. 

While eating, Amelia felt the lingering glance of Bonnie on her. The heretic was starting to get annoyed again. The time with Lucifer played hard with her nerves and her temper was lit in the matter of seconds.

"Would you please stop staring? You can ask who the hell I am, Bennett. You already know I'm a heretic, you felt power like mine before. But I'm the first one to walk the earth. And, by the way, I'm Elijah Mikaelson's wife." 

The girls nearly chocked on their food and stared between Lucifer and her. 

When Amelia mentioned her husband, her heart ached again. She missed him, she missed everything about him. But she lost hope. She even doubted that he was looking for her, which would've been clever. He would risk his families life, if he'd try something stupid to save her. 

The three young women continued to stare at her with wide, questioning eyes. Amelia couldn't bear it anymore and stood up, leaving her food nearly untouched. 

"I need some air." 

Her heels loudly hammered on the floor when she left to go outside. When she stood in the darkness, she nervously drove her fingers through her long hair and stared into the stars. She had to fight upcoming tears, not able to be strong anymore. It would drive her insane, if she had to stay with Lucifer any longer. He was playing mind games with her and she couldn't get out of it, because she was his slave. 

"I told him that I need to use the toilet." 

Amelia spun around when she heard the little witches voice. The heretic needed a moment to hide her real emotions from the surface.

"Well, it would be dumb to try and flee. I bet he has enough leverage on you all." 

Bonnie sighed, but continued to look at the heretic. 

"But we need to. Klaus told us that he knew you. He just didn't told us how. Amelia...I trust you. I know you can help us." 

Amelia let out a bitter laugh and shook her head. How could she be so naive after all that the girl went through.

"Don't you think I would've gotten out of here if I knew a way to ditch the devil?" 

"Elijah is his leverage, isn't he?" 

She shot the witch a death glare but stayed silent. The girl must've had a plan. 

"I have a strong amount of magic, I can distract him for a while...We just have to get out of here quickly." 

"He'll kill me if I try and help you again." 

Bonnie stepped closer to her and Amelia crossed her arms in front of her chest. 

"No, he won't. I'm sure he doesn't keep you around just to be his sidekick. There must be something else. But that's not the plan. You don't have to do nothing at all. Just don't interfere."

The word's the witch spoke made the heretic think. She never thought about it before. Did she really had a higher purpose for Lucifer?

"No, we have to make it look more convincing. Caroline has to stake me or something. If you're right and Lucifer is hell bent on keeping me alive, he'll be distracted enough. But you know it's a game at high risk, I can't guarantee anything. He's the devil after all." 

Bonnie nodded, smiling at her thankfully. 

"It's worth the risk." 

Before Amelia could go back inside, she noticed that Bonnie was seeing something over her shoulder in the distance. The witch frowned, her facial expression changing between confusion, fear, recognition and shock. 

Amelia turned to look what was behind her and her eyes grew wide. She was frozen in spot, not able to say anything but one word.

"Elijah."