Chapter 26

Days passed and Amelia still hasn't woken up. Elijah barely left her side, just when his daughter needed to be fed. They were the two most important persons for him now. Of course he cared deeply for his siblings and his niece, but right now Amelia and Lily needed his attention and protection. It slowly sank in that he was a father. 

After Lily fell asleep, Elijah sat down next to Amelia with their baby cradled in his arms. He smiled when she made little noises as she dreamt, but looked back at Amelia afterwards. 

"She's extraordinary, Amelia. You gave birth to a little wonder, my love, and I'm so thankful and filled with joy. But she needs you. Lily needs her mother, more than anything else." 

Elijah stared at her and a little part inside him hoped that she would react. Of course he had talked to her for those days and always this little strand of hope rose but died a few seconds after. What if she'll never wake up? It would destroy Elijah. He didn't know what he would do then. Quickly he threw the thought away, before he could fall into a deep depression. He needed to be strong, for Lily. Surely she needed her mother, but a father that was strong enough to protect his daughter was essential for the little girl, too.

"Come on, Amelia. Please, wake up." 

He whispered, but sighed shortly after. Still, no reaction. But her heart beat so strong and regular. Freya sensed the magic in her, but she just wouldn't wake up. His sister told him that he needed to be patient, that she wasn't ready to wake up yet. He couldn't be patient anymore. Seeing her like this broke his heart and he also had the lingering feeling that Lucifer would come soon. 

Elijah shook his head defeated and leaned down to kiss her forehead, closing his eyes. After staying like this for a moment, he stood up and went to exist the room, carrying Lily with him. He took one last glance over his shoulder.

"I love you." 

When she would wake up, Elijah swore to himself that he would tell her these words more often. He would show her everyday that she and Lily were the light in his life, the people he cherished most. 

The Original stepped down the staircase and was met by the sad gazes of his family. They looked at him with pity and he hated it. Amelia wasn't dead. He would never give up his hope, not until her heart stopped beating. 

Rebekah was the first to snap out of the awkwardness. None of them really knew how to handle Elijah. They were afraid that he would explode at any second. But Rebekah knew that it was wrong to handle him with kid's gloves. She smiled and took her younger niece out of his arms and lightly rocked her. 

"You're just as beautiful as your mommy is." 

The blonde vampire cooed and kissed her little fingers. She was so happy for Elijah. This child would save him, she was sure of that. It was his opportunity, to have a life outside the torment his family brought with it since a thousand years. 

"She surely is." 

A voice came from the entrance. It wasn't a new voice, it sounded exactly like Elijah. Lucifer. He came here, as Elijah had expected, but still it hit him cold. 

Elijah stepped in front of Rebekah and his daughter and met Lucifer with a narrowed glare. Klaus and Hayley took position next to him and Freya stood close to Rebekah. United, fighting for their youngest family member. It was nearly funny how they could be so dysfunctional from time to time, but after all they stood together.

The devil chuckled and tilted his head to get a glimpse at his daughter. 

"You're gifted, Elijah. I would've thought they would abandon you when they found out who you real father is, but here you stand. Facing death together.