Chapter 16

Klaus carried Amelia out of the warehouse. She fought and refused to leave Elijah's bodies side, not believing that he was gone. When the realization kicked in, she went limp in the hybrid's arms. Shattering the powerful barrier had her enervated. 

When she opened her eyes again, she laid in Elijah's bed, having the feeling for a second that it all had been just a dream. That he maybe was just out to handle some of his brother's business and that he would he come back to her in a second. Tears flooded her eyes when she remembered what had happened. She grabbed the blanket in which she was wrapped in tightly, it smelled like him, it felt like he had just gotten out of his bed. 

Amelia stared around his room. It was all so tidy, impersonal even, as if he had never really moved in here. She knew that he and his family had to move around so much, at some point he subconsciously must've stopped to really stick his heart with a place, even if he called New Orleans his home. 

A picture laying on the cupboard caught her eye and she stood up, still wrapped in the blanket and took it in her hands. It was the only photo in the whole room, showing a very happy wedding couple on the streets of the Quarter. Elijah had placed an arm around his bride protectively, both of them smiled; Amelia widely and he had this slight little lifting in the corners of his mouth. He wasn't a man to smile brightly, so this loving glance meant anything to her. 

Amelia hadn't known that he had kept this photo so close by him. Even if it was just some days old, the edges were already worn off, as if he had touched it a lot. 

It nearly pushed her off the edge again, but she kept herself together for the second. She knew that she eventually could break down at any second, but she need to keep herself going for now.

She would bring him back. Whatever it takes.

Slowly, she went out of the room and down the stairs, just to be met by the stares of his family. There was pity, anger, despair and so much more emotions in them. She felt just the same, but she couldn't bear any of them right now, so she just went by and found the room where they placed his body in a coffin. 

Amelia looked down at his grey face, having the ridiculous hope, that he would open his eyes. But of course, he didn't. He was dead. 

She sank down to sit on the floor in front of the coffin, staring holes into the air. 

"Amelia! Where are..."

Hayley ran into the room, but stopped when she saw the heretic on the floor. Her glance shattered the world again for her, she couldn't recognize the snarky, messed-up traitor anymore. All that was left was pain. She looked destroyed, confused, like the living dead. Hayley couldn't accuse of anything, because she knew that none of this was her fault. This was the real Amelia, the person she had been before her life had been ripped off her. The one that brought all this upon them was gone.

The realization made Hayley shut up and she sunk down on the floor next to her. The hybrid hadn't cried so far, she hadn't had time for that, but now the salty liquid wetted her cheeks. 

Both of them gave themselves some seconds to just sit there and let it all sink in. All of a sudden, Amelia grabbed Hayley's hand and squeezed it lightly.

"I'll never like you because you love my husband, but thank you for being here." 

Hayley gave her a surprised look, but nodded. Again, silence erupted, but Amelia interrupted it by standing up and towering over Elijah's lifeless body. She kissed his forehead and whispered into his ear.

"I won't give up on you, Elijah. You'll be back, I promise." 

...

They all had stayed up all night, trying to find a way to bring Elijah back. Amelia shot Kol death glares the whole time, he didn't even seem to mind that his brother had just died and his mind was shattered in a freaking trinket. He was just upset about the fact that the ancestors were linked back to the earth so he could meet his precious Davina again. She was relived when he went off to the witches, she was afraid that she would've thrown something at him, if she had to listen to another complain.