3

Lauren White

         I walked through the entrance hallway of Serenity Asylum. My shoes making thudding sounds against the cold tile floor.

Leather jacket in hand, and my backpack in the other, I walk to my fathers office.

I hear screams of agony in one of the room cells yelling 'I won't stop!'

I pay no extra attention to it as it happens every day. After all, it is the home of the insane.

I stop once I reach the office door with the name plate that read Dr. David White

I knock on it a couple times as I hear shuffling from the other side. "Who is it?" He says, his voice muffled by the door.

"Lauren." I reply. "Come in" I hear him say and I open the door.

"What is it?" He looks up at me from his desk, his glasses pushed up on his nose.

"Look dad I-"

"If you're asking to work here, the answer is no." He says and looks back down at his paperwork.

"Come on dad! It isn't fair that you let other 18 year olds work here but not your own daughter!"

"Exactly." He says and I raise my eyebrow.

"That's exactly it. You're my daughter, and I do not want to see you getting hurt working here." He says.

"Serenity Asylum is a place for the Criminally Insane. It isn't for the people who suffer from small mental problems such as depression, it's for the completely insane, murderous people." He says and I scoff, leaning back on the sofa.

"Tch.. honestly.." I grumble under my breath.

I don't understand the real reason that my father won't let me work here.

I've always wanted to work here, I felt.. somewhat peaceful when I'm here. For some odd reason, I felt like I had to work here.

Different like any other person, I actually don't get weirded out next to mentally ill people, instead, I feel bad for them. I want to help them get better.

I always wonder what it's like to be that odd, though in school I get called odd, but in.. stronger language.

I don't have much friends at school, maybe 2 or 3, but that is all. And if I'm lucky tomorrow, I might not be bothered by the 3 sluts of the school.

Jessica, Destiny, and Stephanie.

Remember those names well.

Yeah I know, it seems cliché, but in every school there's at least that one group that finds pleasure and happiness from ruining and absolutely destroying other people's lives.

I lean back on the couch, crossing my arms and looking at the ceiling.

"I don't fucking understand why-"

"Don't you use that language with me!" He yells and I sigh. "I don't understand why you have such a problem with letting me work here, I already know everything there is to know about taking care of the patients!"

"You don't just take care of them, you first have to interrogate them once they first arrive here, and ask them about what they did and why." He replies with a harsh tone.