20

I bit down hard on my bottom lip, tapping my fingers against the clipboard once again as I try to find ways to get this boy's memory back.

"Chandler.." I sigh, he looks down at me from the bed where he's sat.

"Tell me, what do you remember after coming here?" I ask desperately.

I don't want to start all over again... please don't make me start over!

He glares at me, "I'm pretty sure I've never been here before in my life, I just got here, didn't I?" He asks and I stay quiet.

I feel the hot liquid rise up to my eyes as I look at the clipboard, avoiding eye contact with me.

"N-No.. you didn't just get here.." I stutter, my voice slightly cracking.

His head tilts to the side slightly, "is it because I'm insane..?" He speaks up.

"Is that the reason you don't believe me?! Because I'll tell you what," he pauses and gets up from the bed, crashing down next to me. "You listen to me." He spits as I wince.

"The statistics on sanity are that one of four people is suffering from a mental illness they don't even know the fucking have." I look up at him at he stares down at me with anger.

"For example, babycakes. Look at your three best friends, if they're okay.." his eyes flicker down to the bruises on my arms.

He leans down towards me as our faces are inches apart. "Then it's you." He whispers in my ear.

My eyes widen as I shake my head, pushing him away. "T-That's not true! H-How could you know that it's a fact?" I ask and he chuckles, staring at the white wall next to him.

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity, Darling." He snaps his head over to me.

"And I have Erased that line." He spits as I feel goosebumps grow upon my skin at his words.

"You're crazy." I whimper, pulling my knees towards my chest. "If you think anyone is sane, you just know know enough about them, it's just how it is." He shoots back as I flinch.

The room goes quiet as I stare at the ground wide-eyed. "N-No.. stop feeding my brain this nonsense!" I yell at him as he laughs.

"You're fucking hilarious! You really think it's nonsense when you clearly work at a place full of it!" His laugh turns psychotic as he leans back against the wall.

He's lost it.

"I mean, maybe I am crazy, maybe.. But if this is all there is, then I don't want to be sane.." I whisper to myself, as the laughing boy calms down slightly.

"First sign of madness, sweetheart. Talking to your own head." He chuckles as I put cover my ears with my hands.

"STOP IT!" I yell, "stop giving me this bullshit!!"

He only laughs in response as he shuffles over to me. "Don't worry," he reassures as I look up at him.

As I look up at him with a look full of exhaustion, confusion, and just pure weakness, his eyes widen and he freezes.

"C-Chandler.. are you alright?"

He shakes his head and looks at me. "I-I remember you.. Lauren."

"H-Huh?"

"That face.. I remember that face!" He looks at me and leans down, examining my face with his cold blue eyes.

"The girl who wants to cure me, to help me. I-It's you!"

"Y-You remember!" I gasp and he sits back. "But how do I remember you.. from what..?" He looks at the ground in confusion.

Looks like he doesn't remember everything yet.

"You just don't remember yet." I say and he huffs. "Did I.. lose my memory?" He asks. "Am I suppose to know where I am? Or how I got here?"

I nod, "Yes. Yes you are." I reply and he huffs. "I see."

"But what you need to understand is," he pauses and looks at me.

"I should never be left alone with my mind for too long."
__________

45 votes and comments for the next chapter to be released.