Chapter 15: Dead?-

A/N: Sorry this is so short!
-WaW
{**}

The base was quiet.

Dead.

Dead?

It couldn't be...

There were still soldiers milling about. Alpha Team came back an hour ago. The base was full of people going about their job with an extreme urgency. Loud sounds erupted from different places at random. The base wasn't dead.

Far from it.

It was in a panic.

Was he dead?

He felt like it. Devoid of everything but desperation. Head held high and spirits low. Standing like a wall and crumbling inside.

The mission was pointless. There was nothing to investigate. Everything was in ruins. Ashes scattered the air. They still could still smell the horrific sight they escaped from. Fire. Waste. Burnt flesh. The entire place was in ruins. They left that place almost as quick as they came. They left behind the 'clean up crew' that was there to identify the bodies.

The Pit... dead?

They felt like it should have been.

Like everyone should have taken a minute to slow down. To stop.

Not quicken the pace.

The Pit was out lapping the rest of the Alpha Team as they stood there, not sure of what to do.

Everything just needed to stop.

Just for a moment.

Everything needed to stop.

One minute.

That's all they needed. Just to catch their breath.

One minute.

Then everything stopped. They almost missed Hawk's voice. Everyone in the room scattered out.

"Alpha Team!" Hawk shouted, getting all their attentions. Only then did it register that he had called to them a few times.

Hawk looked at all of them and wanted to lie. He tried so hard to keep the look of guilt off his face. Scarlett stood slightly behind Ripcord, who couldn't look the general in the eye. Duke, Heavy Duty, and Roadblock looked him right in the eye like good soldiers but there was so much pain in their gaze. Kamakura and Jinx seemed to take comfort in each other as they sat close and away from the rest. Jinx hung onto Kamakura's arm and Kamakura looked down at the floor. Alyssa and Snake Eyes... they acted as anyone would have guessed. Snake Eyes stood in the back, in the dark, and stood like he usually did. Like a wall. Alyssa was crumpled on the ground with the wall behind her to support her. The minimal light in the room shone off the shiny streaks running down her face. She was a mess.

"G. I. Joe, codename Temper... has officially been declared dead."

This was it. The moment they had been waiting for. The world stopped for a minute.

But they still couldn't breath.

"Her next of kin is our top priority now. Alpha Team, we have a new mission. Escort job from a civilian home to a private airport fifty miles away. Wheels up in one hour."