Chapter 5: A

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth

-Oscar Wilde.

{**}

Why were you recruited? he asked.

"Because I'm good at what I do," she replied, taking a sip of her tea.

Why did you say yes? he questioned.

"Because I get something in return."

And that is?

She hesitated in answering him. "Protection."

From what?

"What are you protecting yourself from?" she countered.

How am I protecting myself?

"The mask," she stated, "if you're not protecting your identity from someone or something, then why do you wear it?"

Why should I answer you?

"If you want me to answer any of your future questions I suggest you answer mine."

I've done too much to too many people. It will be harder to track me without the mask.

"Do you plan on leaving G.I. Joe?"

Not willingly. I think we should get back to the task at hand.

She nodded and straightened herself into the Indian-style position on the floor, facing him. She closed her eyes and started to steady her breathing and heart rate; he did the same, but didn't closed his eyes, choosing to watch her.

An hour passed and he soon realized that she had fallen asleep. Reluctantly he picked her up and brought her to Alyssa who opened Temper's door for him. When he closed the door Alyssa spoke up, "Don't push her too far, okay? She's been through a lot, we all have, but... she needs a family and it'll take time before she starts to trusts you guys. Push her too far, and she'll break." Alyssa turned around and quickly left, leaving him alone in the hallway.