Chapter 18: Farther

One year later...

"Yuki, I don't think Snake Eyes will want to train today," Alyssa said, pulling clothes out of the drawer.

"That's fine. We can meditate."

Yuki pulled on clothes and practically ran out of the room before Alyssa could do anything else.

The older woman shut the drawer and fell back onto the bed. She took comfort in the familiarity of the slight dip in the left corner and the same ceiling that she stared at plenty of times.

"One whole year..."

{**}

"You and everyone else seem different today. Is it because of Temper?" Yuki asked, cracking an eye open and watching the silent ninja in front of her.

It's been a year since she's been gone.

"It doesn't feel like it," Yuki said, watching the ground. "I always wanted to tell her that I knew... I knew that Barbara was my mom."

Snake Eyes tensed, tapped the floor, and signed when he got the young girl's full attention, What do you mean?

"Temper's not my mom. Barbara is. I don't really want to call her 'mom' she never wanted to be my mom. I don't think she really wanted anything to do with me. But I'm smart. I heard what other people said. I think it really started with my grand mother. She never really liked me. And everyone always said Temper was her favorite and that she wanted to have a child so the family would have air. I'm not really sure what they meant by that. But it was my first clue. And I heard Temper and Barbara talk. Well, Temper talked and Barbara cried. It was when Temper said that Barbara would regret giving me up even with everything with my father that I kind of knew something was definitely wrong. I get it though. Barbara didn't want me to be her daughter. And Temper wanted to raise me and keep me safe. Barbara and Diana always said she wanted kids... I thought everyone was weird with how they acted about Temper's death today and I wanted to be strong for you guys," Yuki said, watching as tears splashed against the floor and form a small puddle.

Snake Eyes pulled the small girl into his arms and rubbed her back until she seemed to calm down.

"They always said she was the best. That she could take on anything. So why did she..."

I don't know why. But sometimes the best people leave too early.

"Do you miss her?"

Yes... a lot.

He felt Yuki's shoulders jump in a silent cry as she wiped away tears.

"Snake Eyes," Hawk said, walking into the training room. "Emergency. Alpha Team is being called to Japan. Yuki, Cover Girl is going to be watching over you."

With that, Hawk left as soon as he came and Snake Eyes got ready to go back home.

Alyssa met him the hallway and they walked to the plane where the rest of the Alpha Team was situated.

As soon as they were up and on their way, Hawk turned to them and spoke, "We've gotten a message from the Grand Master that expressed her concerns for the Joes and the clan's role in helping us train and their role in feeding us information. This trip is not only for show but while on the phone... she said something that concerned me. I need to check it out for myself, but until then, just keep on the look out and act normal. Understood?"

"Yes, sir," rang out through the plane and they waited for their descent.

{**}

Weary eyes of trained ninjas watched as they moved through the halls of the Kowarenai clan.

"Hawk, Alyssa," Jason greeted as he walked up to the group that stopped momentarily.

"Jason. I don't suppose you've talked to the Grand Master recently?" Hawk asked.

"No, actually. I was told to come here immediate and join a meeting with you. Do you know what it's about?"

"We're about to find out," Hawk stated as a woman walked up to them.

"Please, follow me. The Grand Master will see you now."

As soon as the doors opened, they were dumbfounded by the sight before them.

The Cobra Commander, laying dead in a body bag in the middle of the floor.

Zartan, FireFly, Mind Bender, Storm Shadow, and... Temper. All lined up on with side of the Grand Master.

"Hawk," the older Japanese woman greeted. "I'd like discuss the new future of the Joes."