sixteen: keep

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:

| calum’s pov |

She’s done it again. 

The pressure to be what she wants me to be was getting to me; I wanted to be the best for her, but not in that way. I wanted to be the best version of myself for her, not someone she wants me to be.

We stay quiet for a long while, as I chose not to answer yet another one of her questions that point out something she doesn’t like. 

Lyn observes the littlest things, and that’s good– but not in this way. 

Not when she stresses over things like how my hair should be when I’m just going to go out for a while, not when she makes it a big deal that I’m not reading books, not when she tries to make me someone I’m not.

Looking over at her emotionless face, I knew I had to stop this.

“I’m sorry, I can’t do it anymore.” 

I stand up, decided that I just can’t stay with someone who doesn’t accept me for who I really am. 

She holds onto my hand, a multitude of no’s being let out. “D-Don’t leave.”

I didn’t want to leave, but why should I stay somewhere I’m not appreciated?

“I love you, Lyn. I do. But I’m tired,” I said, gently taking her hand off of mine. 

She doesn’t let me and instead, she cries. “Cal, please. I won’t do it again. I’ll… It’ll just be like before! I promise!”

Lyn looked so sad that I had no choice but to agree. I couldn’t stand seeing her like this; it made me want to do the same.

I’m so stupid; what would I be without her? 

She was the only thing that mattered the most to me right now.

I sit back down, figuring it wouldn’t be bad to give her a chance. “Sorry,” I mumbled, kissing her forehead and wiping her tears away. 

These tears weren’t there for nothing. She wouldn’t cry if she didn’t mean what she said. She didn’t just say that, just for me to not leave her.

She’d keep her promise, right?