Chapter One

"This hit, that ice cold, Michelle Pfeiffer, that white gold. This one for them hood girls, them good girls straight masterpieces ,stylin', while in, livin' it up in the city. Got Chucks on with Saint Laurent, gotta kiss myself, I'm so pretty"

Our song playing on the radio echoes through the kitchen. As it plays, we dance and sing along to the music.

We are some of the staff at Hazelwood Plantation. We consider ourselves as a job built family.

There's Victoria, she's the most popular type and also my best friend. She has been at my side since the first day I started working here at the plantation, two years ago. She trained me to become a maid just like her.

Then there's Joey. He's one of the butlers. Harris and Paula are also included in this group. Their older than us. Harris is the chef and Paula is the head of the staff. She plans the schedules and keeps us busy. Their more like parents to Joey, Victoria and myself.

And yes their moving and dancing with us. There's also two other staff enjoying the song, one is Tiffany and shes a maid just like me and Vicky. And the other one is Sawyer. He's one of three gardeners.

"I'm too hot (hot damn)
Called a police and a fireman
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Make a dragon wanna retire man
I'm too hot (hot damn)
Say my name you know who I am
I'm too hot (hot damn)
And my band 'bout that money, break it down"

Paula is making an effort in shaking her booty while Harris is standing behind her with his hands on her hips. It makes us all laugh.

Both of them were divorced before they moved here and started the job 20 years ago. It's a life change for anyone who comes to work here at Hazelwood plantation. Basically, it requires you to not have a life worthy to leave behind. Which was perfect for me because my mom is a drug addict and sleeping with a different man every other week.

When the next part of the song plays, Vicky and Joey are sitting on the counter saying "Whoo" with silly faces. I can't control my laughter. I'm singing and dancing with the biggest smile on my face.

This is my family. And this is how we spend time rewinding after a stressful day with the Huntingtons; the owners of this plantation.

The job isn't bad, except when the daughter has her brat moments, things get crazy.

Scarlet Huntington is the typical rich girl. She recently had her 18th birthday and she thinks the world revolves around her now. The day she got her drivers license, she came bursting through the kitchen bragging about it. Paula leaned into whisper to me, "Remind me to never be on the road when shes behind the wheel." Neither of us can stand her. She's the only daughter out of four siblings.

We rarely see much of the two oldest. Caleb is married and living somewhere else with his wife. The other is Mr Grouch, I mean his name is Jayden.

He never speaks and is normally getting yelled at by his father, Bill Huntington. He gets mad at him for not being a responsible man like he wants him to be. Jayden doesn't show any interest in the business part of this plantation, and regularly bringing strange women here. He's my age but he doesn't act like it.

"Don't believe me just watch"

"Hey hey hey oh" Sawyer sings loudly.

"Stop! Wait a minute." A familiar voice comes from the door.

We whip around and see Brandon standing there, pointing at Paula. "Fill my cup, put some liquor in it"

Paula shakes her head and laughs.