Chapter Four

After Brandon and I return home from shopping, I hang up my new clothes. I bought a few nice tops and pants. All considered casual business attire. Also I found a comfy pair of shoes on sale, my size!!

I sit on my new bed and scan around the room. The walls are a light purple color. The bed is between two doors. One door is a bathroom and the other side is a closet. Night stands on both sides. A dresser is on the wall in front of me with two windows with white curtains on each. A flat screen TV hangs between the two windows, above the dresser. The main door is on the right. Above my bed on the wall, hangs a beautiful picture of the beach. I didn't have any pictures or paintings in my other room, only a calendar.

I sit and ponder about what Brandon and I discussed. We ate at the mall and talked for almost an hour. He brought up some good points. I want a better life for myself but can't do it being a maid forever. He wants me to be happy. He promised he will always be here for me at anytime. It will be a struggle to not be around Paula or Vicky much though. I'll still go be with them at any giving chance.

A knock on my door breaks me away from my thoughts. I get off my bed and open the door. There stands a smiling Paula and Vicky.

"Omg Izzy!! I'm so happy for you!!" Vicky says with excitement.

She opens her arms and engulfs me in a tight hug. I glance at Paula and she's beaming at me and almost in tears.

"Um Vicky, cant breath." I choke out.

"Oh I'm sorry. I'm just so excited for you." she releases me then scurries past me and into my room.

Paula hugs me gently and rubs my back. "You will do great my dear, I'm happy for you as well." Paula tells me sweetly.

"I've been in this room many of times, but I have to admit this is cool I get to hang out in here now." Vicky says as she sits on my bed.

Paula and I walk inside my room and I sit down beside Vicky. "I cant believe this is happening. I don't want any of ya'll mad at me." I tell them.

"Izzy dear, we're happy for you as you can tell. You deserve something nice for a change." Paula beams.

Only these two know my history. Vicky, lived a somewhat normal childhood. Her brother died in a horrific car crash soon after she graduated high school. Her mom died from cancer during her second year of college. Her dad closed himself off and relied on alcohol to keep him sane. He left town months later and left her all alone.

So she dropped out of college and started working here. She never told me what she was studying though.

Paula was in the process of divorce when she arrived here many years ago. She was married to an alcoholic for 36 years. She finally found her courage one night when her husband was out at a bar. She kept contact to job service and they found this job for her. That night while her husband was at the bar, she packed whatever she could and left him. She stayed at a friends house he didn't know, until she was able to start here. She says she hasn't heard from him in years since the divorce was final. Actually, Bill helped with their divorce.

Vicky grabs my hand and squeezes it tight. "Izzy, we aren't mad or jealous. You were randomly chosen to be his assistant. That is luck girl!" she exclaims.

They don't know what happened. I need to tell them. Their are my closest friends and they have the right to know. I know they will keep it quiet about it.

"What happened to you earlier anyways? You disappeared." Vicky asks.

"Uh..." I peek up to Paula. She's showing a knowing look. "I was told to have the day off."