Chapter Nineteen

Reborn: The Boy Who Discovered He Wasn't

by Sabrynabrooklynne

Chapter 19

======================

Carol had been sitting alone on the living room couch for about an hour when James walked in the back door.

"Mom?"

"In the living room, Jessi."

James, realizing what his mom had called him, entered the living room with a sly smile. "So I guess you saw my note."

"I did. Where did Jessi come from?"

"Remember. That's what the magazine article said they were told my name was. I was trying it out. You like it?"

"I think I do. Jessi, Jessi with an i. I think that's what I'll start calling you."

"So, when did you get back, mom? I thought we were gonna go to lunch, but you never called."

"Your note was right. By the time I left Velheim I had so much on my mind, I totally forgot to call you. Then once I saw your message I decided to let you have your talk with Becca and figured we could just go to an early dinner."

"Thank for that. And going out for dinner sounds great, mom. I didn't eat any lunch, so I'll be real hungry. Well . . . what did Mr. Williams want with you this morning?"

"Come, sit next to me," She instructed James, motioning to a seat next to her on the couch.

"He . . . um, he wants to hire me back."

James took a seat and leaned over, placing his head against his mother's arm, "Okay, and you told him no, right?"

"No, Not exactly . . ."

"What'da you mean, mom? You didn't?" James interrupted his mom before she could finish.

"No, sweetheart, I didn't say yes either. Just hear me out."

James sat upright, "But, mom you're working so hard to have things the way you want and to finally get to use your designing talents to their fullest."

"Where here's the thing. Somehow, he heard about the fashion show and has seen photos of all the outfits from the event."

"So what now? He's going to make cheap knockoff copies of them and he called you in to tell you there was nothing you could do about it?"

"Not at all, honey. He's not as bad a guy as you seem to think. Actually, he wants to create an upscale fashion label just for my designs. He wants to back my designs fully."

"So he can get rich off of your hard work while you continue to struggle?"

"Sweetheart, what he has offered me will make me a partner in the business and I will be bringing home more money than I ever did before . . . if he agrees to my terms."

"But, not as much as you would if you did it without him?"

"No, actually with the existing infrastructure and people already established at Velheim I'll be able to make a name for myself faster and make more money without having to invest all my profits back into growing my own business, even at his terms, but he knows I am worth more than he is offering."

"I still don't trust him after everything you have told me about him over the years."

"Honey, with the offer he made me today, it all sounds wonderful except for the percentage. I left him word that he would have to do better than that if he really wanted me back."