Chapter Thirty-two

Reborn: The Boy Who Discovered He Wasn't

by SabrynaBrooklynne

Chapter 32

=================

Around two o'clock James returned home from what was to be a sleepover with Rebecca and Ariana but had been canceled when Taia returned and told him that his mom needed him back home.

He walked into the kitchen, blissfully unaware that his secret had been discovered. As soon as he entered, his mom grabbed him by the shoulders and embraced him tightly.

James didn't understand what had his mom acting this way but he sensed something wasn't right.

"Mom?"

"Yeah, baby?" Carol asked in response, still hugging her child tight.

"Is everything okay? Becca's mom says the sleepover is off and you're acting weird. . . Did something happen to Gram? Mom, is Gram okay?"

Releasing her hold on her child, Carol took James's hand, "Come, sit with me on the couch."

"Mom? Did someone die? What's going on? You're scaring me."

"No baby no one died, and Gram's okay. I can't really say yet what's going on but Taia came over earlier and we had quite a talk."

"About what mom?"

"Well . . ." Carol began. "Did you know that you left your journal lying on a lounger out by the pool when you guys went in for lunch?"

"What? No, it's right here in my bag." James reached to pull it out. "Becca put it there when her mom called us to eat."

"No baby," Carol replied, shaking her head as she made eye contact with Jessica. "No, Becca didn't put it there. You left it out. It was Taia that put it back in there for you."

"No! What!? No! No! Oh, god. Mom, I'm sorry. I didn't . . . Wait, she didn't look in it did she," James asked, beginning to panic. "Wait! She did, that's why the sleepover is canceled. She don't want me hanging out with Becca anymore, huh?"

She could see in her mom's eyes that what she was saying must be true. "Oh no mom," She gasped and tears began to run down her cheeks. "Oh no, mom, it is true."

"Well, not exactly, but she does want to talk to you about it."

"MOM!!! I can't do that! She probably wants to tell me I can't hang out with Becca anymore because I'm one sick, disgusting boy. I can't face her. I won't! I can't lose Becca as a friend. Oh, what have I done? She must hate me."

"Baby, I promise you that's not it. She doesn't hate you."

"Well, whatever it is it can't be good."

"I happen to know it is, sweetheart. You're gonna want to hear what she has to say."

James, who up until now had her head buried in her hands, looked up at her mom with wide eyes. "Really mom?"

"Yes, really. We're going to a late dinner with Taia and Becca tonight and she has some things she wants to discuss with you."

"Mom? If you know what it is can't you just tell me?"

"No honey, I'm afraid not. I can tell you that she's talking to Becca about it now and you'll find out soon enough tonight."

"Mom I don't know if I can do this. Are you sure it's not going to turn out bad? If you really think not then okay mom, I'll trust you. "

Although James was shaking and scared he realized if he continued to push it wouldn't get him any closer to finding out and would only serve to make his mom mad.