Chapter 16: Waiting for Something

It had been a week and a half since Beth had heard from Luke. And getting rather worried there had been no word from him. At least not to her. Beth just got to school, sitting in her usual spot at the table in the commons. James wasn't there quite yet. But Beth figured he would be there soon. With Luke's absence. The two had come closer as friends. James sort of took place for now to make sure Beth remained protected in case Garrett showed back up at the school. Which both felt was very likely since Luke was no longer there to shield her. Just like with Luke. James and Beth thought Garrett could be playing a part in Lucy coming to retrieve her son. As an attempt for part of his game to take down Beth.

Beth reached for her book propping it open on the table's surface to read some, when she heard Jame's familiar voice. "Hello." She glanced up, a small smile forming. Closing the book as James sat down in the chair across as usual. "What are you reading?" He asked. Just like with Luke and Beth. The two finally managed to get past a little bit of the awkward stage. James was getting better picking up some sort of conversation when he saw Beth at school in the morning before the bell. He normally tried picking a topic not related to Garrett or Luke. So not to worry Beth further. When he did receive updates from Luke, he would let Beth know. But otherwise, he avoided the subject. More so to clear Beth's head. And so she wouldn't keep continuing to worry.

Beth moved the book a few inches towards James so he could see the title. She was reading more these days again after school work to keep her mind occupied. And from time to time, wrote things down in her notebook of her thoughts. For this was something she couldn't discuss with her mother. Beth didn't want her to worry further. But there was one person she could talk to about. Remembering that Luke said his father knew. Perhaps after school, Beth would go over and pay a visit. It had been a while since they had chatted. Since before Lucy came to get Luke.

James tilted his head a bit before turning the book over so the title was upright on his end to read better. "A Walk to Remember, by Nicholas Sparks." He read. "Haven't you seen this movie like twenty million times?" He smirked slightly. One of the only few things Luke complained about when he was with Beth. The fact of taking turns picking movies and always dreaded when it was Beth's turn. Beth rolled her eyes. "This one is not all that bad compared to some of the others.." She grumbled. "Besides.. It takes my mind off things." She said, her voice quiet. "Plus.. Books are better than the movies. They give off more information.."

The table stayed quiet a moment as Beth responded. James folded his hands over the surface of the table, his eyes on Beth. "I spoke to him a few days ago. On Friday. He's worried about you. But other than that, he seemed okay." Beth raised an eye. "You spoke with Luke?" She asked. James sighed a little. Knowing at times, Beth showed her annoyance that Luke tended to text James more than her for updates to check up on things.

"Beth, he wants to see you. Trust me. But Lucy is keeping a close watch on him. He is able to manage a quick text update to me, so it can be passed to you. And that's it. Even that is risking it. We really don't talk all that much. In case Lucy catches on to what he's doing." Beth let out a sigh in return. Knowing he was right. But it was now a week and a half since she'd seen him. Even heard a text from him. It didn't take that long to send a short message did it? She got why he didn't. It was risky as James said, and he didn't want anyone getting in trouble or in danger if he made the wrong move. They knew what Garrett was capable of. But not Lucy. He was protecting her doing what was told. And risking it enough just messaging James the update... "I know." She said quietly.

"What did he say in the text?" She asked. Unfortunately, the bell rang just at that point. Signaling their first class. "I'll fill you in at lunch?" He questioned. Beth nodded. Reaching for the book and tucking it under her arm. "See you in class." She said, giving a small smile before heading towards her locker.