|Two|

♡♡♡

♡♡♡

02 || I Ran All The Way Home

"Oh man!" Vern started as he walked up the ladder, "You guys are not going to believe this! This is so boss. Oh man! Wait to hear this, wait to hear this."

The two girls sent each other a look and quickly climbed up the ladder after him, both concerned and intrigued.

"Are you okay?" Ella asked sitting down next to Gordie.

Kaitlyn sat next to Chris, once he scooted over to give her some room, and looked at Vern with her eyebrows furrowed, "What's going on, Verno?"

"You won't believe it, it's unbelievable! Let me catch my breath! I ran all the way from my house," Vern replies, panting heavily.

"I ran all the way home! Just to say I'm sorry! Sorry, Oh!" Chris, Gordie, and Teddy started singing.

Ella and Kaitlyn sent each other an annoyed look.

"Oh, come on you guys! Listen to me, this is boss, come on!" Vern shouted over the boys, trying to get them to shut up.

The three boys continued to sing the well-known song, ignoring the complaints of their best friend.

"Okay, forget it. I'm not telling you nothin'!" Vern said annoyed.

"Hold on you guys, hold." Chris started, shushing the other two boys, "What is it, man?"

"Okay, great!" Vern started, "You won't believe this, sincerely. I-"

"I ran all the way home!" The three boys started singing again, cutting him off.

Kaitlyn hit Chris in the side with her elbow, trying to get him to shut up.

Chris rubbed his side, acting as if Kaitlyn hurt him when she hit him, which earned him an eye roll from the girl.

"Screw you guys!" Vern said, angry.

"What is it?" Chris said after the three quieted down.

"Can you guys camp out tonight? I mean, if you tell your folks you're gonna tent out in my backfield?" Vern asked looking at the other five kids in front of him.

"Yeah, yeah. I think so." Chris said laying out the cards for him and Teddy. "Except my dad's kind of on a mean streak. You know, he been drinking a lot lately."

Kaitlyn frowned at the boy, feeling bad.

Chris offered cards to Kaitlyn and then Ella, they both shook their heads no in response.

"You got to man, sincerely! You got to! You won't believe this. Can you Gordie?"

"Yeah, probably," Gordie replied shortly.