Chapter 7

Adapt,
[uh-dapt]

Verb,
to adjust oneself to different conditions, environment.

____________________________________

It's been a few months since Adelaide joined the loop. And let's just say life has been interesting for her so far.

She adapted to her surroundings quite quickly and learned to go with the schedule of the loop. It seemed like everything was perfect in her life, but it was far from it.

Yes, she was happy to know that she wasn't the only strange one, yes, she enjoyed it in the loop, but she couldn't help but feel like something's missing.

She looked perfectly happy on the outside, but on the inside, she felt quite different. She wasn't alone, she had Emma and Olive, her best friends. She had Enoch, her friend, who she has feelings for. She had Miss Peregrine, her mother figure.

But Miss Peregrine wasn't her mother. She missed her mother, sometimes her father but seeing as he was almost never around it would be unlikely that she would miss him as much as she missed her mother.

More months went by and the hole inside Adelaide's heart grew. She felt the weight of the pain on her shoulders but went on with the pain. She kept growing closer to Enoch because they shared this certain darkness that covered both of them.

With Enoch she felt happy and calm and comfortable, almost like she was at home, she knows that that sounds like a total cliche but that's really how it felt to her. She felt safe with him, like nothing else mattered, just the two of them. She didn't feel pain when he was with her, she felt at peace with her surroundings and at peace with herself.

She would just spend hours with him, sometimes she would help him with one of his dolls. Other times she would simply sit there watching him work. And then there are times when they would just talk or go for a walk outside.

But today was different.