Dean X Reader - In The End

~Set in season 3 ( those were the days... When dying meant just that *sigh*) ~

"Time is a valuable thing/Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings" you sang into the​ mic. You loved doing covers with your band, but the Linkin Park songs always sounded better than the rest. You were currently just a covers band, but that was going to change soon. Your drummer, who was the best at songwriting, was almost finished on a whole album's worth of songs. You couldn't wait to perform them. Especially for your father, Bobby Singer.
You knew that your father did a dangerous job, but he always seemed to find time for you. He had always encouraged you to follow your musical dream, because 'anything was possible and everything was better than doing what (he) did'.
You grew up sometimes seeing the two brothers - the Winchester brothers - because your father had sworn to act like a normal father for them. Dean, the older brother, would always mock you for not following in your father's footsteps. He would try to mock your singing, but he never seemed able to find any faults with it. So, you ignored his jeers.
You hadn't seen the brothers in years, not since you and Dean were in your early teens. So you were surprised when you saw him at the open door to the panic room, where you and your band were practicing. So surprised that you signalled for the rest of the band to stop. This was by stopping singing in the middle of the verse.
"(Y... Y/N)?" Dean stuttered, surprised. You waved, blushing slightly.
'When did he get so hot?' you thought. Then inwardly cursed yourself for thinking that. You didn't know why. "Hi, Dean," you mumbled. Your band took the initiative and took that as their cue to leave the room. You sat on the bed of the panic room. "Haven't seen you in years," you remarked, trying to keep the conversation away from yourself.
"You look good... I mean well! You look well, (Y/N)." You giggled. Just as he used to be, Dean Winchester was still an awkward puppy around you. You'd seen him with other girls when you were younger, and he was like a tiger. But around you he had always been as smooth as crunchy peanut butter.
"You look good, too, Dean," you mocked him. Though, really, it couldn't be seen as mocking if you actually thought that it was true, could it? Your eyes caught his and suddenly you were lost, as you always had been, in the bright green gems that other people called his eyes. Even after not seeing him for so many years, his eyes looked exactly the same. It was how you had recognised it to be him in the first place.
"... So, I see that you still have your heart set on being in a band," he smiled, walking into the panic room, making sure not to knock over anything that was set up. He flopped down so that he was sat beside you on the bed.
"How's your hunting going​?" you asked, seeing as there was no smart-assed way to reply to his statement.
"I die at the end of this year," he blurted out, suddenly. And suddenly, in his eyes, you could see his fear. And then you knew - in that second - why he had done it. It was something he had done to protect Sammy. Just as always.
"How did Sammy take it​?" you asked him.
"He insists on trying to find a way out of the contract."
"Let me guess. The only deal you could make gave you no escape route and a shortened timescale." He nodded. "Why? How is your death gonna protect the squirt?"
"He'd be dead now if I hadn't made the deal." You pulled Dean into a hug, pretending that it was to reassure him. In reality, it was to comfort you because - of the two brothers - you had always felt a stronger connection with Dean.
After hesitating for a moment, he wrapped his arms around you, realising that you needed him to comfort you. He had always been like your best friend when you were younger. Especially because you were home-schooled by your father - or a tutor, if he had a case. "Shall I look after squirt?" you asked into his shoulder. Your closed eyelids were resting on his shoulder.
"Nah, just check up on him every couple of months. You know, make sure he's not doing anything stupid."
You laughed bitterly. "Yeah, because he was always doing stupid things, Dean Winchester." You felt the material of his plaid shirt become damp against your eyelids. This caused you to blush, as you were literally crying into his shoulder.
His arms, which had just been wrapped loosely around your waist, moved to hold you tighter. One of his hands, you didn't think about which, started to run gently through your hair. The other arm wrapped itself carefully but tightly around the top of your back, just below your shoulders. His hand was resting on one of your arms and his thumb was gently stroking your arm.
"This is why I came to tell you now, (Y/N)," he whispered to you. "I couldn't bear to think that you'd only find out after I'd gone. It would ruin you. Don't let this ruin you, please?" he asked.
You nodded into his shoulder, tears flowing freely from your drowned eyes. You knew that he could tell that you were crying. Not for the first time in your life, you didn't care what this would make him think about you. Though, this time, it was because he would be dead at the end of the year.
"And, please don't try to bring me back or anything. Don't worry about me. Just don't let Sammy, either."
"I promise," you swore into his shoulder, tears still streaming from your (y/e/c) eyes. In an attempt to calm yourself before your father came down to ask why your band had come up for a break and not you, you started to sing so more Linkin Park. "I tried so hard/And got so far/But in the end/It doesn't even matter/I had to fall/To lose it all/But in the end/It doesn't even matter..."
You pulled yourself out of his hug, away from the boy - who was now a dying man - that you wouldn't admit that you loved. You quickly dried your eyes so that, despite him knowing that you were crying, he wouldn't see your tears.
"Even after all this time," Dean remarked. When you looked at him, he looked like he was barely holding it together. "Even now, I can't find anything wrong with your singing voice." You smiled. It was small and it was sad, but you smiled. At least something wouldn't change.

~ (y/e/c) is your eye colour. ~
A/N ~ So, question time! What did you think? Particularly cuttlefishdrawing, when you get this far. Especially Mernyer and PhoenixRebelion, who I know well and I know watch Supernatural. Did I portray a sadder side to Dean well? Comment what you think and see you in the next one, which will be another Merlin!!!