Dean X Reader - In The End Part II

Time-skip to four months after Dean's death.
You were out doing soundchecks at the local pub ready for a performance you and your band were doing that night. You hadn't managed to keep as close an eye on Sammy as you had expected, for the past four months. Four months exact. You had counted every single day.
You had gone back to your dad's for lunch. Your dad was in his study when you got there, with Sammy, naturally. Since Dean had gone, you were the only person he'd let call him that. You walked into the study. You weren't expecting it. Of course you weren't expecting it. But he was there. How could you ever expect someone to return from Hell, physically unscathed and definitely human?
But he was there.
As soon as your eyes rested on him, they filled, your hand flying to your mouth. You almost had to bite your own hand to stop the tears from coming. But it didn't matter because, as soon as you saw him, you turned and fled to the panic room.
You had to calm yourself down. You knew that at least one of them would follow you. You had to calm down. So you sang. Like you always had done, to calm yourself. "One thing, I don't know why,/It doesn't even matter how hard you try,/Keep that in mind, I designed this rhyme/To remind myself how/I tried so hard/In spite of the way you were mocking me..."
You heard someone stop outside the panic room door as you sang the last line. You ignored them for a moment and continued.
"... Acting like I was part of your property..." then you looked up and faltered. It was Dean. Just like that day, all those months ago, when he had told you that he was going to die. He was practically unchanged.
"Things aren't the way they were before," he replied.You'd always known that he knew the song. But, uncontrollably, you laughed slightly. But only for a fraction of a second.
"That's not the next line," you whispered. He was wearing a black tee and some blue jeans, with the pendant Sammy had made for him, when you were little.
"Maybe not, but it's true." He looked you up and down, taking a step forward, into the panic room. You weren't wearing anything special because you had been moving equipment around. But you had come home to change as well as for food. He hadn't been able to see it the last time you'd talked, but this time he could. You were still wearing a pendant necklace. It had become part of you, almost.
It was an anti-possession sigil for the pendant and it was just on a bit of string with a clasp for putting it on and taking it off. But it wasn't even because of the purpose that you were wearing it. On the back of the pendant, there was a short inscription, in Latin, that only you and one other person knew the meaning to.
He laughed, out of surprise, upon noticing your pendant. "You still wear it?" you nodded, slowly.
"Every day," you confirmed.
"When did you have it? When we were twelve?"
"Yeah, and only because you thought that we'd never see each other again. When was the last time before 05 that we met?"
"We were sixteen."
You smiled and sniggered, remembering what had happened with Dean just before. "Oh, yeah. It was right after your first love."
"No, after my first girlfriend. Not my first love."
You were taken aback. He'd never said that before. You looked at him with your head to one side, one eyebrow raised. You decided that you didn't want to know right now; it could still have been on your mind for the performance. You changed the subject obviously and shamelessly. "I thought you said there was no way out of this deal?" While he replied, you sat down on the bed.
"I thought that too. But I had to claw my way out of a coffin that had been cracked and six foot of dirt." He lifted his left sleeve. "Found some abandoned store in the middle of nowhere, that had toilets. Looked in the mirror and saw this." He pointed to something just below his shoulder, stepping forwards so that you would be able to see it. There was a handprint on his arm.
"Whose is it?" He shrugged, saying he didn't know. "Have you told dad and Sammy?"
"Nah, (y/n), I thought it was too important a thing for them to know about and only wanted to tell you."
"At least your sarcasm wasn't damaged while you've been gone," you smiled.
"How long have I been gone?" He took a couple of steps towards the bed. He was practically right in front of it. You pulled him onto the bed as you replied.
"Exactly four months now since it happened. Sammy told us how it happened." You rested your head on his shoulder, closing your eyes. You were unbelievably glad he was back. You sat silently, just being together.
"Dean?" Sammy called, his footsteps echoing down the stairs to the panic room. When he saw you he must've decided that you needed this time. You guessed this from the sound of his footsteps going back up the stairs and Dean whispering his thanks to Sammy.
You remained sat there and you didn't want to move. But you knew that you had to get ready. Your excitement at Dean being back and nerves about performing meant that you were glad that you didn't have time to eat anything.
When you had to get ready, you tried to pull away from Dean. He held you tighter. "Dean, I have to change. I'm performing soon."
"You shouldn't need to get changed. You look to die for already." You blushed. Dean hugged you tighter. "Stay with me a bit longer."
"Will you come and watch? I can take you."
"Why would I need to watch? I already know you have the voice of an angel."
"Just..." You paused out of nerves and he realised why you were asking. "Will you?"
"Of course I'll come and watch." He released you a little and you managed to wriggle out of his grasp, playing the same game you'd play when you were young. It took your mind off the performance.
Then, you had to leave or you'd be late. You took him out of your dad's house and to your car. You drove to the pub where you were performing. You got there in time to get up onto the stage behind the mic.
As you entered, you were surprised to find it packed. Dean didn't seem to mind; he said he wanted to survey how people reacted to you. You could have laughed, but you had to get to the stage.
"Well, thanks all for coming. I'm pleasantly surprised by the turnout. We're..." You faltered. You hadn't agreed on a band name, you had some conflicting, changing ideas. But as you stood there, you could hear the band silently telling you: 'yes, choose a name'. And the only thing you thought was... "We're Revived. This is an original song by our drummer, Mike. It's called 'Loose Cannon'."
You had previously planned and practised your set-list, so as soon as Mike started on the beat, the lyrics flooded your mind. As they started to play the first verse, you started to sing it.
Some people seemed unsure of the song at first, but you noticed an increase in relaxation and enjoyment when you started to sing. You tried and failed to find Dean from the stage during the first song, but it reassured you to know that he was there.
As the song ended, you slipped straight into a cover and a song that you and Dean were definitely familiar with.
"It starts with/One thing I don't know why..." As you started to sing, you saw Dean's head poke up through the crowd. It made you smile; the hilarity of it. It was like a scene from a comedy sketch. "... Time is a valuable thing/Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings/Watch it count down to the end of the day/The clock ticks life away..."
You knew, even before you saw his face, that Dean would be remembering that day, when he had told you... When he had told you that he was going to die. You were also remembering it. You actually had to concentrate on the lyrics to distract yourself, else you would've faltered. As you reached the end of the song, you knew what you wanted to say. You were going to have a couple of minutes speaking after every couple of songs. You'd mainly left them blank because you didn't know what you wanted to say.
You finished singing and looked into the crowd.
"That was In The End, by Linkin Park. I'd like to dedicate our cover of that song, if I can," you checked with your band. They nodded along, wondering where you were going with this. "To a friend of mine who has had one hell of a day, after coming back into my life recently. Dean, that was for you." You paused for a moment, to catch your breath and watch Dean's reaction. He beamed up to you, packed into the back of the pub, squished up. In that instant, you were very glad that you were up on the stage, as you had severe claustrophobia. "This next song is another of ours. I had a small part in songwriting. This is in the lyrics, on the whole, so I apologise if it's too sci-fi for your tastes." Dean beamed even more, if that's even possible. "It's called Behind the Sofa. Enjoy!"