Cold, Hard Chains

Flynn's POV

My eyes opened with a start. I looked around, my eyes still getting used to the lighting. A single candle hanging from a chain lit the room, and I saw that I was in a dark and damp prison cell. 

With sore arms, I peered at my back, because for some reason I couldn't move from the spot that I was currently standing in. For the first time, I realized that my face was close to the stone floor. I was in an uncomfy diagonal position and the only things keeping me from falling flat on my face were two iron chains wrapped tightly around my wrists. 

I looked up and heard a loud creaking as the only door and the only way out opened enough to let a small person in. Mother Gothel sashayed in, with her hips swinging and manicured hand near her face. She looked about the same as the last time I saw her, except she was holding a worn-out book with a silver skull with glowing blue eyes plastered on the cover. It was dark maroon and frayed pages.

Mother Gothel caught my uneasy gaze and help up the book for me to see completely. "Oh this old thing?" she inquired, "It's just a little something that my friend gave me." She emphasized the word friend as if it was a poison dart. 

I didn't stop looking at it, even when she started waving it around and flipping through the yellow pages. Mother Gothel left me a bowl of soup in front of my face for dinner. It smelled foul and there were chunks of potatoes or carrots mixed in.

After some awkward silence, I croaked out, "Where is Rapunzel?" My throat was raw after shouting at her earlier when she harmed my loved one. Without wasting any more time, she replied cooly, "Oh, her? She is way beyond my knowledge at the time, but they probably have her at the castle." Mother Gothel held up her wrist as if she had a pocket watch and said," Oh look at the time! I better get going, ta!"

The door creaked once more as she exited, waving her right hand at me as I uttered a curse. 

Why is she still alive?

What is that book she's holding?

How is Rapunzel?

Is she safe?

Why does Mother Gothel even need me?

The questions ceased at once as I drifted off to sleep. 

---------

Nothing to say this time...

Word Count: 419 (Eh it's getting better)

~DarkFreed