Chapter 22 - Antidote

'Careful mate, don't jump to conclusions', I heard in my head from Fintan who followed my gaze to the table.

'I need to go to the bathroom', I replied as I slammed my mental shields down tight and headed in the opposite direction. I had never experienced this before and it hurt. I knew what jealousy was as an abstract concept but didn't realize it was like being stabbed in both the heart and the gut. And then the blade twisted.

Responding to people on the way back inside the palace, smiling and accepting their congratulations. I walked through our room and directly to the bathroom, locking the door for the first time, I needed to think as I rubbed my chest sitting on the edge of the tub.

It just didn't make any sense to not trust Jeremy, I just didn't understand these feelings. I didn't like them and I didn't like myself in that moment. I started to rock back and forth and I was just so surprised, how did I make this stop?

How did I stop my heart from being hurt? I knew I was childish, I knew I couldn't be the only one to make my mates laugh. But wasn't she sitting rather close to him? And wasn't he encouraging it?

"Kirsteen? Are you alright?"

'No,' I thought to myself. "I'll be out in a minute," I replied loudly, then lifted my fingers to my cheek and noticed they were wet.

Crap, I was crying. How would I hide that? I was ashamed I felt these things but how did you make them go away? Feeling almost frantic now I went to wash off my face, maybe I could say I got soap in my eyes. It's all I could come up with.

I had never felt worse than I did in that moment and I just wanted to be alone. But it was Fintan's big night, I could give a crap about becoming Queen myself, I would give it up if it was possible. I didn't know what to do.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I heard from Fintan again. 'No,' I again thought to myself.

"Just give me a minute," I told him testily. I couldn't help myself.

"Open up, Kirsteen," Fintan said from right outside the door.

"I said, just give me a minute," I snarled back. I really wanted to be alone. Holding a hot towel to my face felt good, and I made myself breathe. And before I knew it the door slammed open, Fintan held a key in his hand and marched over to me. I had jumped backwards, my heart in my throat.

"You locked the door, Kirsteen," Fintan growled out when he stopped right in front of me. "And you're blocking your thoughts. You never block your thoughts."

My hand twitched since I wanted to slap him, so I snarled back, "I told you I needed a minute of privacy, and that's not too much to ask." I walked away to put the wet cloth in the hamper, then brushed past him heading to our closet.

I just wanted this damn dress off, but try as I might I couldn't reach the zipper so Fintan walked up to me and started to unzip me. I just clenched my fists, I just wanted to be alone right now. When Fintan was done he took one of my fists and straightened out my fingers.

"They were just talking, Kirsteen." I didn't say anything and took a robe off the hanger to go back to the bathroom. I locked it again, then noticed the key on the counter. Ha!

I peeled off my dress, put on the robe and sat on the edge of the tub. I just wanted to run, the party was ruined for me. I ruined it all by myself, how to stop feeling this? God!