Bad News

^^ I know this is a wedding dress, but I thought it was fitting to the boy's fancy suits.

I entered the Center Hall, still fuming, but trying my best to look happy. All the boys had changed into white coattail, pink dress shirts, black vets, red ties, and grey dress pants. I was wearing a ballroom gown with a flowy pink skirt, a white top with no sleeves, and flowers for decoration.

"So where did the boss go?" Hikaru asked.

"He was looking forward to this the most," Kaoru added.

I turned to them, "Our King is lounging in Music Room 3. He's entertaining Lady Eclair."

"Well well well, sounds like someone's a little jealous," they smirked. Honey and Mori nodded in agreement.

"Like I said, I'm not."

"Like you said?" They all said in unison.

"Look I-- I just think that he's being even more irresponsible than usual today. You said it yourself, Kyoya, he's impulsive."

"True, he certainly is, but in this instance he's obeying the whims of his grandmother." Kyoya said.

Tamaki's grandmother's words went through my head. "Now that I think about it, Tamaki's grandmother seemed really cold towards him earlier. Is there some special reason for that?"

Everyone looked at each other, not sure what to say. Hikaru finally sighed, "Well, everyone else knows about it."

"See, Tamaki is illegitimate." Kaoru said.

(Cue Tamaki's long backstory that you are free to skip if you'd like)

"20 some-odd years ago, the Suoh family patriarch died at a young age. For political reasons, Chairman Yuzuru was rushed into a marriage at the behest of his mother to a woman of her choosing. That's how he became head of the family. But several years later, the Chairman fell passionately in love with a beautiful young woman he met in Paris." Hikaru explained.

"Not long after, Tama-chan was born." Honey added.

"The Chairman told his mother he was going to leave his wife and marry Tamaki's mother. His grandmother vehemently objected. Because of her poor health, living in Japan proved too difficult for Tamaki's mother and so she raised him in France until he was 14. His childhood seems to have been a happy one. But as time wore on, the family business on his mother's side went belly up, and they were forced into debt," Kaoru said.

"The boss's grandmother worried about there being no heir to carry on the family name came up with a proposal. She would provide the means for his mother to live comfortably for the rest of her days, but Tamaki had to return to Japan with her. All contact between the two would be prohibited forever." Hikaru said.

"The current patriarch may be chairman Yuzuru Suoh technically, but for the time being, all of the family's assets remain under the control of Tamaki's grandmother. What's more, with his mother's health being so frail, Tamaki understood the grim prospect facing her she would have to live in debt, so he decided to go to Japan with his grandmother. Not long afterward, either out of anguish or just plain guilt of handing over her son away for financial security, Tamaki's mother left France in shame and went into hiding. Her current whereabouts are unknown. To this day, he's never seen her again, not once." Kyoya added.

My frustration had melted away and was replaced with pure sympathy for Tamaki. I had no idea, he always seems so cheerful. Who would have guessed? If I were in his shoes, I don't know if I could forgive my grandmother for something like that.

"It's easy to feel sorry for him." Kyoya said, now standing next to me, "but the hardships that he endured as a child helped mold him into the person he is today. He'll be fine. The Host Club is his refuge, which means when all is said and done..." He placed a hand on my shoulder, "He still has us."

I looked up at Kyoya, then to everyone around me. I was really lucky to have friends like this, for the longest time, I had completely forgotten about my debt. It always felt like I was doing this by choice and not because I am forced to. I really wished that Tamaki was here right now, I wanted to apologize.

As if on cue, the door opened revealing Tamaki....and Eclair. Tamaki looked very serious, the light was gone from his amazing violet eyes. Eclair, on the other hand, was smirking triumphantly.

"Everyone, I have an important announcement. As of today, Lady Eclair Tonnerre and I are officially engaged." Tamaki said, emotionless.

My heart skipped a beat. What?!

"Furthermore, the Host Club will be permanently dissolved after the Ouran Fair. That is all."

Tamaki looked at me sadly. I pleaded to him with my eyes that what he was saying wasn't true. But he only lowered his head and grabbed Eclair's hand.

For the first time in my life,  I actually felt my heart break.