fινє

I sat down and read a book. I played chess against myself. I did a round or two of solitaire. In the end, I sat on my bed and watched the hours go by, staring at the ceiling.

~~~

Five weeks passed after Hamilton left to the war. He wrote twice a week and I kept his letters in a cabinet next to my bed.
I took care of myself. I went out and got groceries with the little scraps of money he sent me in the envelopes. I stayed bored most of the time.
Soon, another letter arrived. I quickly opened it and read out loud.
"Dear Y/N,
I am coming home for a month with the general's permission. My friends and I will be attending the Winter's Ball. See you soon.
Signed, Hamilton."
I grinned. Finally, he's coming back.
After another day, someone knocked on the door in the morning. "Hello? Y/N?"
I jumped out of bed and ran over to the door, unlocking it. I tackled the person in a hug. "Hamilton, welcome back!"
Hamilton laughed. "I haven't seen you for awhile. How has it been?"
"Great. Sorry I couldn't write a letter back, I don't know how to write."
He ruffled my hair. "It's fine. I ought to teach you how, don't I?"
"You would? Thanks!" I felt giddy inside.
"No problem."
He cooked up a quick breakfast and we ate at the table. He went on and on about the war, his battles, his friends. I was surprised when he said George Washington, the general, had named him his right hand man.
"Congratulations," I took a bite of my food.
"Thanks. I think Burr was mad at me though. Not my fault that I can write better," he boasted, "Washington must like me the most."
"Don't get ahead of yourself," I winked. He smiled sheepishly.
"Sorry. I'm really excited."
"For what?" I asked.
"The Ball. It's in two days. Will you be coming along?"
"Sure, why not?"
Another two days passed by and the evening of the Winter's Ball rolled around. Hamilton just had come back from running some errands and he brought a bag into my room with a happy grin.
"Guess what I got you."
I looked up from reading. "What? Flowers?"
He set the bag on my bed. I crawled over and opened it.
It was a teal formal dress, unlike the ragged one I'm wearing now. The chest was light pink and the sleeves draped down loose. There were darker blue floral marks all across the dress.
Tears brimmed my eyes and I held my hands over my mouth. It was the best gift I had ever received. I had no words. "Hamilton..."
His face twisted. "Do you not like it?"
I wrapped my arms around him and cried. "It's amazing! Oh my gosh, how did you even afford this? Thank you so much!"
He sighed with relief and patted my back. "I've been saving up. I'm so glad you like it."
"Like? That doesn't even describe how happy I am. I love it!"
He let me change and I admired myself in the mirror. My E/C eyes went with the dress, and my H/C hair flowed down the sides. I spun in a circle, smiling.
Hamilton's revolutionary friends waited for us outside in a horse drawn carriage. "Y/N, hurry," he called to me, running out the door. I followed him and the boys grinned at me. Except Burr.
"Hey, Y/N, looking good," Laurens cooed as I sat down. Burr whipped the horses and they neighed, racing off. I blushed and looked down.
"Woah, Alex, you outdid yourself," Mulligan nudged Hamilton.
"Aww, Y/N is blushing. Comme c'est mignon!" Lafayette cupped my cheeks with a teasing grin. The boys howled with laughter.
"Je ne suis pas mignon!" I stuck out my tounge. Lafayette giggled, since he's probably the only one who understood what I said.
"Be quiet, we're here," Burr glanced over his shoulder at us. The six of us jumped out. Hamilton took my hand and helped me down. He held it as we walked inside of a tall, elegant building.
Inside, guests were already dancing. All the women were in fancy dresses like mine, and the men had either gallant coats or soilders uniforms on, like Hamilton and his friends. Burr, on the other hand, was wearing a burgundy coat. That was probably a pun.
Mulligan grabbed Lafayette's wrist. "There's the bar. Let's go."
"Don't forget about me," Laurens squeaked as the other two boys dashed off. Burr disappeared somewhere.
A tall, bald man approached us. Hamilton straighted up and saluted. The man nodded back. "Hello, Hamilton."
"General Washington," Hamilton dipped his head. "I did not expect to see you here."
"I'm back in town, I might as well. Who's the little lady you have with you?" Washington glanced over at me. His hard stare kept my eye contact.
"Ah, this is Y/N L/N. She's staying with me."
Washington took my hand and kissed it. "I'm assuming this is your first ball?"
"Yes sir," I tried not to feel giddy. Does a kiss on the hand count as your first kiss? Do all men do that, or does he think I'm older than fourteen?
"I can show you around, if you two don't mind," Washington met Hamilton's eyes.
"Sure. Just don't pass her to any teenage boys," he responded.
"Hamilton," I whined, turning red. Both of the men chuckled.
"I'll let you two be," Hamilton ruffled my hair and ran over to the bar. "You guys, wait up!"
Washington and I started talking. Soon we were getting drinks at the bar.
"Water for her," he said to the bartender.
"Aw, man."
"You're only fourteen, yes? I wouldn't be very responsible if I gave you something strong. Besides, Hamilton would kill me."
"How did you know my age?" I gasped softly.
"Oh, just obvious," he smirked, taking a sip of his own drink. "I'm surprised Hamilton is taking you in. He's not much older than you are."
My eyes widened. "How old is he? I guess he never told me."
"Twenty one. Atleast, that's what he said in his volenteer letter."
I'm only seven years younger than him. Wow. "Seriously?"
"Yes. Oh, there he is now," Washington pointed. I followed his finger to Hamilton waltzing with a woman. She had a beautiful fushia dress on, her dark brown hair curling down her back. She was smiling, her eyes twinkling. "Seems like he's got one."

A/N
He be dancing with Angelica
Wow, thanks for 273 reads! Its only been five chapters!

petunia xxx