тωєиту σиє

Mother let out a bloodcurdling scream and buried her head into his chest.
   Father lowered his head, tears streaming down his cheeks.
   I stood silently, listening to the clock ticking.
Why was my name the last word he ever said?

~~~

The next afternoon was the funeral.
My family stood weeping over the coffin. Mother had her face in her hands. Father glanced over at her and tried to take her hand, but she shimmed away. She looked at him fearfully, then went back to sobbing.
I, on the other hand, had my head lowered and hands folded infront. I'm still wondering why the last thing he said was my name.
"He felt closer to you more than anyone, Y/N," a familiar voice said softly next to me. I jerked my head up and wiped my tears to look at the figure.
I recognized the freckles and curly hair as John Laurens. I blinked. "John? I mean, Laurens? Wh-"
"He told you I followed him, you just didn't listen," he said, meeting my eyes. "And don't ask me why I didn't stop him. He was seeking revenge and tossed me aside."
I looked away. "What do you mean, 'He felt closer to me more than anyone?'"
"You were always there," he said, resting a hand on my shoulder, "His father worked too hard, and his mother had to take care of the family, food, and the house."
"I left to get married."
"Maybe so, but he felt like you were always there," he said, his voice fading, then started to disappear. "Keep that in mind."

   a few days later
   "Vote for Jefferson? I don't think so," I mumbled to myself, reading the newspaper. I was walking along the sidewalk with my father by my side.
   "I'm not going to vote anyways," he laughed lightly, then grimaced.
   "Why not?" I asked.
   "It's either Jefferson or Burr, and I hate both of them," he said matter-of-factly. I rolled my eyes.
I've been trying to stay away from the topic of Philip. Luckily my parents are loving eachother again, yet Eliza was just sent to the hospital because her baby is due this week. I'm hoping that's their last one.
Anyways, I've been plastering on a smile to hide my sadness. I think the rest of my family has too. Our youngest siblings don't know yet, only Angie, Alex Jr, and James. Even my kids have no clue. Luke was devastated when I told him, but Theodosia Jr was worse.
   As if on que, someone approached us, beaming. "Alexander!" they said, strolling up next to my father and walking with us.
   "Aaron Burr, sir," he huffed in reply. "What's new?"
   "Just going door to door," he grinned.
   "I didn't think you were the type of person to do that?"
   "I'm chasing what I want," he said, then his expression darkened. "And you know what?"
   My father glared at him. "What?"
   "I learned that from you," he smirked, then continued on his way. Hamilton scoffed flatly.
   We soon passed the congress house, where everyone was crowded around and trying to get inside. Hamilton squeezed past them, and I followed to see what was going on.
   Inside, there was arguing everywhere. Jefferson, Madison, and Burr were sitting at tables, fighting.
   Madison looked bored out of his mind while Jefferson yelled at the man on the other side of the table. Burr shot back at him, then regained his cool when he saw Hamilton walk in.
   I saw Madison perk up. "Thank heavens. Please tell me you're here to vote?"
   "No, I wanted to see what's going on," my father said expressionless.
   Madison leaped out of his chair and rushed up to him. "It's a tie, and all this bickering won't stop unless someone breaks it," he complained. Hamilton narrowed his eyes, then took a deep breath.
   "Hey!" he shouted to the crowds of people. "You all wanted my vote, so here's what your getting!"
   "Dad, you don't have to," I whispered.
   He ignored me, and pointed at Jefferson. "Jefferson has my vote."
   Everyone either cheered or started screaming. Burr and Jefferson both just stared at him in shock. Madison clapped.
   "What?" I asked, "Don't you hate eachother?"
   "Well, yes, but at least he has opinions. Burr just waits for things to come to him, and no one gets far with that," he sneered. Jefferson leaped out of his chair and shook hands rapidly with my father.
   "My word, Hamilton, you've changed," he smirked.
   "Yeah, don't get used to it."
   I noticed Cornelia on the sidelines and she gave me a gentle and sympathetic wave. I nodded in return. It seems like everyone knows what happened to my brother.
   "How's it going with you husband?" she came up to me and asked.
   "It's great. I haven't seen you since the wedding," I laughed lightly.
   She beamed. "I never thanked you for allowing me to be your maid of honor," she gushed, then curtsied.
   "That's quite alright, I'm just glad you were there," I giggled. I curtsied back.
Suddenly she frowned. "I'm sorry for your loss... Are you okay?"
I looked down at the hem of my dress, then over at the celebrating Jefferson and Madison. Burr was glaring at my father, hatred bubbling in his eyes. Hamilton was grinning slyly, arms crossed, and watching the crowd of people either shout or dance.
I smiled. "Everything's okay."

a/n
eh sorry for the slow updating. I'll probably update one more time this week then go off to camp for five days. No phones allowed rip

Anyways, I'm starting a new story since I'm wrapping it up with this one. Go check it out once it's published, it's called нι∂∂єи;; Hamilton mixed aus.
I'm not going to give a summary of it cause I'm rushing to type this, but it's basically a bunch of aus mixed together, like werewolf, undercover, modern, etc...

One more thing: how can I make this story better? Before I end it, I'd like to fix up a few things. Any tips? What can I do to make it interesting and stand out?

petunia xx